Who puts money into their savings (when we have jobs)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by unionwirewoman, Jan 24, 2009.

1. unionwirewoman

unionwirewoman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Hubby and I have been out of work for 4+ months now ( mostly due to injuries that have led to work comp refusing us and getting sued ) . MY question is......how many actually put money into savings ( not touching it ) until events like this happen ? We were lucky enough to have saved $20,000 in a year and a half in case something like this happened . We live well ( no flat screens , or new furniture , no new carpet to replace the lime green we have ) but we have steak and shrimp 1 aweek (well we used to ) . How many others plan ahead for unforseen circumstances such as these ? Hubbys ex says she can't drive the 10 miles out here to drop off the kids , yet she orders take out and buys new clothes and furniture herself . Just wondering where everyone elses priorities lie .[​IMG]

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    My DH always plans for the future...in case of unforeseen circumstances.....he is good like that......

3. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

I do.

I am a Building contractor, in my line of work ( in Michigan) we have highs and lows, feast and famine.....so I have an account that I dip into only when I have to. I don't live high on the hog, all my bills are paid and I "pretend" that account doesn't exist.

4. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:Sounds like good business sense to me...keep it up...one day you'll thank yourself for it , if you already haven't . We have yet to dip into ours....but that day is coming REAL soon . Glad some people know about rainy day accounts .[​IMG]

5. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Always, always "pay yourself" by putting money into your savings then pay the bills. Even if it changes from paycheck to paycheck - remember to pay yourself.

6. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I save a few thousand but should save more. It is roughly 1-2 months of bills and food and such. I am attempting to put away at least 6 months of savings so as to cover everything for 6 months.

7. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:I agree...even if it's $10 a month . Forget you even have it ...then when times get really tough...it's always there for you . We have ours in a credit union that has a percentage rate of over 4% ....so we get a % of the divedends back into our account . You can spend that $5 a day on coffee , or buy your own pot and save the money in the bank when times get really tough . This is aimed for any who would truly look at their life and ask the simple question " do I really NEED this...or is it a want ? " If it's something you really NEED...by all means do it...if it's a want...ask yourself how happy your life will be with a simple impulse . It might make you feel better for the time being...but how long will it last ? Will it pay your bills , or hinder you from paying your bills ? Needs and wants are on 2 different spectrums of life . [​IMG]

8. Steve

Steve Ye Olde Henhouse Builder

Quote:My brother had a rule kinda along those lines.

Every paycheck he put 10% of it away. That came right off the top before anything, then learned to live (comfortably) on what he had left.

My grandpa had a saying too that still rings true....it isn't what you make, it is what you save.

9. unionwirewoman

Sep 14, 2007
    Kalispell , MT
    Quote:My brother had a rule kinda along those lines.

Every paycheck he put 10% of it away. That came right off the top before anything, then learned to live (comfortably) on what he had left.

My grandpa had a saying too that still rings true....it isn't what you make, it is what you save.

[​IMG]

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    We do. DH and I planning on getting a house within the next year. We have a savings account for our "house fund."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by