Who`s using a high powered pellet gun for predator control?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by bayside chick, Mar 25, 2009.

1. bayside chick

bayside chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2009
    I`ve read here , as well as other sites , that many are using them to "get rid" of coons , and other preds.

I`m using a Crossman .22 w/some armor piercing type ammo and, after catching them , am having a hard time (requiring several shots) putting these guys down.

I don`t want them to suffer , and I don`t own a "real" gun , nor do I think I`d want to use one in the neighborhood. Am I doing something wrong , or what? I`ve read of people taking them out @ 30 yds w/ one shot ...blah , blah , blah. [​IMG]

Any advise?

2. jholler

jholler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    Where exactly are you aiming? Are you a good shot? Skulls are kind of thick sometimes, but depending on the fps speed of your weapon, a brain shot might be best. A lung shot is an easier hit, but they may die slowly if at all. Have you considered a crossbow?
    Also, the "armor piercing" ammo may not be best if you are taking body shots, you want the ammo to "mushroom" and create a large wound cavity, not simply pass through the animal.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I agree with jholler on placement issues, but I don't recomend a crossbow, especially with neighbors. That is all you need not to make a good shot and the next thing you know the animal runs off the your neighbor with a bolt in it and a picture turn up on the evening news.

4. jholler

jholler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Jonesboro, AR
    I don't live in a neighborhood, so I have a few more options...most end in the word "gauge". ;-)

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I would shot it in the head. Thats the only way you'll ever put down a coon in one shot with a pellet gun.

6. ravencreek

ravencreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Benton TN
    We have a Coon dog. She is a redbone and we keep her chained real close to the coop at night. We have yet to have a problem.

7. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    i have KARELIAN BEARDOGS to keep most predators away..
    and my poodles are great rodent killing machines!!!

we just got a high powered pellet rifle.. the only thing we have killed with it, is some cans,, a paper plate,, and ONE big fat RAT!!!!

8. digginchicks

digginchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2009
    Sullivan, Indiana
    shoot em right behind the front leg and they will go down everytime!!!

9. KyleD.

KyleD. Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2009
    south carolina
    .22 caliber gun, hollow points. works everytime. anywhere in the main body and they will go down.

10. first time farmer

first time farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Quote:Hahahaha same here but if i had to use one of my other guns i would use my .22 rifle. But my closes neighbor is a little over a mile so i can use most of my guns on my property

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by