Who said chickens are dumb?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tiki244, Oct 19, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I have a leghorn who has been raising some Seramas. They are about 8 weeks now and the only other bird she lets near them is her 'sister' leghorn. Well today the mama leghorn was picking on the silkies because they were too close to her chicks in her view. The silkies are only about 10 weeks old. So I threw the mama out the door of the coop and then went to trying to catch the baby seramas to get them outside too. (Catching baby seramas is wild because they fly so much.) As I was catching them and releasing them outside, the mama leghorn was gabbing it up outside. Next thing I know, the 2 leghorns are at the door looking in the coop. Well, the mama didnt come in, but 'sent' her sister leghorn in the coop. The sister leghorn runs in and walks around among the silkies looking up and down and under the silkies, checking everywhere to make sure all the chicks were accounted for. This really cracked me up. I couldn't believe my eyes. [​IMG]

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    It is amazing how much actually goes on in that little brain.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Makes you wish you could talk chicken.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by