Who said Eggs slow down in the winter? =P

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Frenzie, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    Wed.= 6/7 eggs
    Thursday-6/7 eggs
    Friday= 7/7 eggs (Personal record!)
    Today so far: 6/7 eggs
    How many have you gotten? [​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Mine slowed wayyyyyy down last winter, in fact almost 3 months and NO eggs! I was really upset when I had to BUY eggs. However this year they are doing alright. I am glad oyu are having a great winter. [​IMG]

3. cabot

cabot Chillin' With My Peeps

I have been averaging 4-5/6 recently. Still haven't had a 100% day yet... still waiting!

4. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    [​IMG] Cool! Well, actually ew have 7 hens, 1 pullet, and a rooster. When will that pullet lay?!? Lol!

5. sixty7x

sixty7x Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2010
    Warwick RI
    we've been getting 2/2. once a week we get 1 or none. my hens just started laying a month ago

6. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    My girls have been giving me 10-12 eggs every morning. Not bad, but the only real difference I've noticed is they're a bit smaller than the eggs from late summer/fall. Most of those were in the 2.3-3.5+ range (xtra large to jumbos). Now they're 2.2-2.7 ounces.
    I believe it's the girls using extra energy in keeping warm instead of putting it into making bigger eggs. S'ok, they still taste great!

7. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I am getting about 8 a day out of about 40-45 hens. Slow down does not even touch it.

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    I think it depends on the age and breed of the birds, I have 2 pullets and a hen that should be laying a hawk killed 1laying pullet, 1pullet and hen are in molt and the bantam brahma just stopped laying for her own reasons, so lucky you.

9. johny

johny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    I average 7/9 all winter so far.
    I think because supplemental lighting makes their day start at 5AM and end at 9:30PM.

10. missred871

missred871 Eggxhausted Momma

May 5, 2010
    Perry GA
    wellllll....I do. LMAO. Lets see I have 4 banty hens who are stubborn as all get out about sitting atleast once right? Well if you dont let them sit when they want then eventually they will hide their nest and sit and pop out with a boatload of babies 23 days later BWAHAHA so my 4 banty hens are running around with babies and dont plan to lay anytime soon. the babies are anywhere from a month and a half to 3 months and the moms are still keeping them all.....crazy chooks. Then there are the 3 EE girls, we have only gotten 1 egg a day out of that darn pen anyways, they stopped laying the beginning of december. Then there are the duckies...let's see......6 of em....one very egg a day if we are lucky.... I am not convinced all the girls arent laying though... I think they are laying when we let the out in the morning/afternoon and hiding them...darn girls....so stengy... HATE BUYING EGGS! They taste gross!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by