Who say's Cat's and Chickens can't get along

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lacrystol, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    If a man's best friend is a dog, well take a look at this: I have a kitten that has two different silkie chickens as a best friend. I was skeptical at first in allowing Misty (the black and gray kitten) to go into the box with my baby silkies UNTIL, I saw this. LOL....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    Is Misty sharing a cat-nap with the chicks?! Soooo sweet.

3. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    That is adorable!

4. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 4 barn cats, they eat out of the same dishes as the chickens, side by side...I will get a pic next time...they also play in the run and go in the coop....one got caught in a nesting box, wow, quite a ruckus, she won't be doing that again! No fears of my cats and chickens!
    [​IMG]

5. jengro65

jengro65 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Morgantown, WV
    Our "Lex" loves to hang out with our birds too:)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    And 99% of the time you would be right, but there's always exceptions to the rule. Two of my cats are fine with chickens, even with the tiny chicks I have in a brooder in the house. My oldest cat will attempt to kill an adult chicken in a new york minute.

7. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    that Silkie and the kitten picture is adorable my gosh whats not to love there. Its because the silkies cant see the kitty [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Great pictures.

Imp

9. Pharm Girl

Pharm Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Super cute pictures! Your kitty looks like my Princeton when he was little. He still loves his ladies, and yep, he drinks out of their water and food too. He's a mouse/bird hunter, but he knows he can't have my chicks. Wouldn't leave him alone with the chicks though, they'd be toast.
    I wish I had silkies!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2011
  10. mtngrl812

mtngrl812 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens run my cat out of the back yard. She wont stay around them because she is afraid they might peck her when she isn't looking. Also a couple of the hens start making the alert sound and the rooster fluffs up at her and runs her off. Kinda funny since she is such a mouser and quite the hunter. But a chicken is just too much. She wont even look at them like prey.... she usually wont look at them at all, just turns her head and meows to herself as she skulks away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by