Who says chickens aren't smart???!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicknmania, Feb 11, 2008.

1. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Dazzle has learned that if he brings his hens up to the house at lunch time, and crows, someone will come out and give treats to his hens (he never takes any, himself) Every day that weather permits, he brings them up, crows, they eat, and then if it is cold, they will eventually go back to the barn once we stop coming out. Now, his hens have learned a new trick....peck on the door, the door opens, a blast of heat comes out, and....bonus!!! More treats! And how can I resist???? Peck,peck,peck......peck,peck,peck....no wonder I don't get any more done than I do! [​IMG]

2. newchickowner

newchickowner Songster

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    That's funny!! Boy have they got you trained!!! [​IMG]

3. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Songster

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    I think they've got us all trained.

Have you ever just sat and watched your dog or cat for hours? I haven't, but I've certainly done that with my chickens.

So, who's the pet now?

4. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Songster

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    That is funny. I just got rid of my Buff Rock and now am down to 1 rooster, Cesar, he is getting used to being the man around. I had never even heard him crow before yesterday when the other left. Now, he crows in the am and now throughout the day too. I love it though cause we live in the country and that is what it is supposed to sound like. I have already gone and given treats for today because I heard him crowing so perhaps he has me trained too. [​IMG]

5. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Funny [​IMG]
    I remember when I was about 8, we had a Mallard drake who would always come tap-tap-tapping on the back door whenever he saw us in the kitchen [​IMG]

6. newchickowner

newchickowner Songster

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    My great-grandmother use to make home made pies at Lowry Park Zoo when she was in her 30's and the squirrels would come knocking on the bakery door waiting for her to throw them some Pecans. I wasn't around then, she told me this in one of her many stories. She said one of them would even come and scratch at her ankle wanting her to drop a few pecans. She'd have to shoo him out! The bakery was open air and no a/c so the bravest squirrels could come right inside.

7. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Songster

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    At one point our only chicken was our old barred rock Rocky. She didn't like being an only chicken. She'd come up on the deck and look in the sliding glass door until we felt sorry for her and tossed out some treats. Eventually we were able to get some friends to join her and she taught them all to come to the door and tap. The red stars we had would walk right in if we weren't careful! The cat didn't quite know what to make of that.

8. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    We've had wild birds tap on the window once or twice, also. Our chickens will absolutely come in if we let them...once someone left a door open and about ten chickens were in the house before we realized it! It was funny as they were everywhere...bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, eating catfood, etc...we had to carefully coax them out (to minimize the amount of poo left behind) [​IMG] They will come and stare in our glass french doors to our rear deck, too...we think it's like chicken tv for them!

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Slifer used to knock on the door to come in. Obelisk taps on the window and says bik bik Bik BIK BIKBBIKKKBIKBIKBIK! until you give HER a treat.

10. countrygirl4513

countrygirl4513 Songster

Apr 14, 2007
    Portland TN
    It must be in the water. Mine do the same. I have 3 entrances to the house and they utilize all 3 of them. They are a hoot! oops owl talk not permitted.
    I agree they have us trained!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by