1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who says Chickens Won't Share Nestboxes? Pictures Included!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mattmatts-momma, Jul 30, 2008.

1. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    I just went out to check for eggs this morning and this is what I saw. This is the cutest site! There was one more chicken waiting her turn in the doorway! I guess this explains why I am getting all my eggs earlier. There was one day last week, the last egg I got was at 7:30 PM!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Sounds as if you may need more boxes. [​IMG]

3. XL506

XL506 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2008
    Ohio
    Very cute... Theyre BFFs lol

4. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    I need to take some pix of MY broodies! I have an old TV cabinet I use for the bantams, and they are crammed in there. There may be room for a couple of standard gals, but those bantams are squished together! They are my cochins and silkies, btw.

5. mattmatts-momma

mattmatts-momma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2008
    Quote:I have 7 hens, 2 nestboxes should be enough, right? I think the RIR likes to hangout in the box for a long time after she lays. She's slowing the other ladies down!!

6. sara

sara Title Needed Here

My hens always want to use the same box. [​IMG]

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

LOL, mine always use the same spot too... and that was even when I had like 16 active layers!

8. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    I have four nest boxes and they still crowd in two at a time. There will be plenty of open nests but ladies doubled up and waiting in line for the "good" nests. The only thing that seems to seperate the nests is they all prefer the lower ones, the top two almost never have an egg.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  9. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    My hens lay under broody moms lol... [​IMG]

10. Fowl-Language

Fowl-Language Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Longview, WA
    Those are great pictures! I'm not sure what they're saying, but it looks like it might not be too polite...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by