Who says goat hoove trimming is easy?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Jun 10, 2011.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Well I tried tonight yeah right. I kept getting jerked around by its leg kicking back. Then I barely know what I am doing to begin with but I think her hooves are way longer and harder then I can deal with being a newbie. I did get some off though till dark and raining again urghh. I go out so late. I though I could do all 4 goats before dark who was I kidding.

Ok so enough of my rant.

Can you help me a bit so I know what to cut?

I know to cut what is fold over to even with the sides pretty much. Thats about all I know. What is the soft skin like stuff at the back of the hoove not on the leg either but I want to know what that is too and how much to cut?

Oh yeah the fronts seem pointy and really long but can I cut that and how much?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Easy. Haha! Nothing with goats is ever easy. Tie the goat up or get someone to hold it. The hooves are easier to cut if wet, and you need sharp hoof rot shears. You want to cut parallel to the corona, where the hoof joins the leg. The only part that generally bleeds if you cut it too short is the tip of the hoof, but if they are long you can cut quite a bit off. I wish I could show you how to do it. Come on over:)

3. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I wish I could come to Tn. Are you by Nashville?

4. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    I wish you where closer. I could help you. I learned on pygmies and it was pretty easy after I got the hang of it.

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:That would be great your a bit closer. I will am planning to come down for hot august nights in Reno this August.

I think the hardest part is going to get over the old growth then I can keep them up easier. What is over grown is really hard and thick.

6. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:That would be great your a bit closer. I will am planning to come down for hot august nights in Reno this August.

I think the hardest part is going to get over the old growth then I can keep them up easier. What is over grown is really hard and thick.

Hot August Nightd is always fun. What are the dates this year?
    I wouldn't mind meeting someone from BYC. If I had my own goats I could show you how to clip the hooves.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  7. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010

Hot August Nightd is always fun. What are the dates this year?
    I wouldn't mind meeting someone from BYC. If I had my own goats I could show you how to clip the hooves.

That would be fun....I know a few people are from there on byc.

I believe it starts the 8th and goes about a week.

Oh yeah and I am not packing goats with me either [​IMG] I will get past this I may have someone come out and do it the first time and then I can keep it up easier myself after that.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
  8. gaited horse

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Hot August Nightd is always fun. What are the dates this year?

That would be fun....I know a few people are from there on byc.

I believe it starts the 8th and goes about a week.

Oh yeah and I am not packing goats with me either [​IMG] I will get past this I may have someone come out and do it the first time and then I can keep it up easier myself after that.

Our state fair is the 18th. Goats aren't that hard to haul around.

9. BCBunnies

BCBunnies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    I'll make sure to send you a video of me trimming the kids hooves tomorrow and get some up close pics for you to see what you should be clipping off and what to leave. They don't have much growth so you may have to do it in stages I'll see if I can find someone around needing trim work done on some overgrown hooves if you still need some help. It gets easier with time just like plucking chickens but don't ask me to clip hog hooves ever again. [​IMG]

10. egg_tastic

egg_tastic Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    NC Foothills

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by