Who says Guineas are unsociable?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by BritinMO, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BritinMO

BritinMO Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    I took a short video today of my Guineas, and what they do as soon as I walk out of the house:) They do at times sit on my deck rail waiting for me.....but today they were by their coop:) [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww Brit your flock is completely GORGEOUS!!!!! (And has tripled in size, lol).
    LOOK AT ALL THOSE PRETTIES!!!!!!!!! And it's so obvious that they all LOVE you!
    [​IMG]
    So happy that you have had such success with them, congrats!!!! [​IMG]

Good to see ya back at BYC, Miss ya!!!!

PS... love the laid back Choclate lab in the midst of them all, lol.

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

And I love the Chicken with the "OOOPs I wasnt supposed to be in this scene look...... "

Mine actually do this in the coop no matter where I sit they jostle to get close even though I am not dishing out treats.

deb

1 person likes this.
  4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA

Then obviously you too have established and secured the position FOOD GODDESS deb, whether you come bearing goodies or not [​IMG] Excellent!!!

5. BritinMO

Apr 18, 2011
    Hehe - yeah, the choc lab wandering around with the guineas - people are always amazed that they all get on so well, all our dogs and cats leave all the fowl well alone - just one big happy family!!

And that chicken that got in the video is Cindy, she practically knocks on the front door every afternoon for a Ritz cracker treat, its a madhouse here at times, lol!

Hope everyone is doing great, I really should visit here more often........[​IMG]

6. Fenika

Fenika Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Nice flock :)

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I loved that! I miss my four. Had to rehome them after they developed a hatred for my three RIR hens, but one day, I will have them back. Had two males (both lavs) and two females (one lav, one big pearl) and they were very tame, see?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. BritinMO

Apr 18, 2011
    Oh WOW!!! Love the pics! Mine will eat of my hand, but not sit on my lap or head, I can see I have some work to do with them! Our guineas share a coop with our 4 chickens and free range in the day - they get on pretty well, occasionally you'll see a guinea chasing a chicken off from the feed. I love RIR's we have 3 Heritage RIR's but I want to get a few more regular ones in the spring when the chicks are around - we had an AWESOME RIR hen that I raised from a day old, she was called Rosie - such a character, she would sit on my lap, had her own Facebook page! Unfortunately the *&***** fox got her one day............................broke my heart.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

So sorry about Rosie. The first hen my alpha male guinea developed a hatred for was named Rosemary. Poor thing had to start hiding from him in the nests. She'd fly to my shoulder trying to escape his wrath. When all the guineas started beating up on all three RIR hens, then my Barred Rock rooster, they had to go, sadly. I really, really miss them. I just loved your video!

10. BritinMO

Apr 18, 2011
    How very strange that your chicken was called Rosemary - is it a common name for RIR's???? This was our Rosie - we used to have a cup of tea and a chat and a cracker each day on the bench discussing life every day around 4pm! Oh I do miss her!

Love that your profile says 'Your Royal Henliness', our coop is called Cluckingham Palace! But then I am a Brit and love anything Regal and Royal[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by