Who says it doesn't get cold in Texas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 7L Farm, Dec 1, 2010.

1. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Got up at 5:30 am to go hunting. Looked at the temp it was 20 degrees. My feet almost froze while hunting. I almost brought one of my chickens with me to keep me warm but decided against it because we would be talking the whole time & the deer would hear us.LOL Came back from hunting the chickens water er in the run was froze solid but the one in the coop was still liquid. It's not suppose to get that cold here. This is the second time this 20 degree weather has hit this winter. I know to some 20 is nothing but its cold to a native Texan.

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    29 degrees here this morning. I agree-it just ain't supposed to be that cold down here(especially this early-it's not even winter yet).

3. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:Yep, I agree I live about 7 miles from Navasota. Twice the weather people have predicted low 28 & I get up & its 20. The only saving grace it will warm up fast & be a beautiful day.

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Not sure how low we got last night but the water in bucket with the nipple waterers was frozen on top and sides and I had to bring the rabbit waterers in to thaw.

I'm on the western edge of Central Texas and I'm so darn tired of the wind...we have had wind and low dew point resulting in Red Flag Warnings for weeks now. We need rain badly!

ETA: I've got just the chicken for you to take hunting. Petunia (BO) is a screamer. She would scare all the other hunters out of the area leaving you with all the game! She sounds like a mountain lion or worse!

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by