1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

who says muscoveys cant fly

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nfrost, Dec 13, 2011.

1. nfrost

nfrost Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Just went out to call all the birds over for treats since its warm here in Minnesota for December 50 degrees, the chickens peacocks all the birds ran over but no the muscpvey male had to be first he flew over the tree tops and barn to get to me first.. I thought people said once the males get big and fat which he is, they can't fly?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:M y muscovy drakes can only get take off if up on the hill behind our home. So they get one wing clipped so I don't have to worry about something having them for a meal when they leave our property.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My male used to fly all the time. He easily cleared a 6 foot fence [​IMG]

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Females usually fly better then males because they are smaller, but males occasionally can fly too. Mine never did though.

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    If there was food or mating in the deal my big Muscovy drakes could fly pretty good. and with those broad wings could even soar (guide without flapping).

6. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    I have a female muscovy on the small side who cant even fly over a 3 ft fence. On the other hand I knew someone with an gigantic muscovy drake would fly up on their roof every day [​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Who said that? I didn't. [​IMG]

ALL of my muscovies can or could fly at least one point and time. The girls are the best flyers. Once the males get too big, they can't get too high off of the ground. Mine fly every day. [​IMG]

8. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    mine could fly just like an eagle. he looked like one too! [​IMG]

9. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    My friend has a female sitting a nest 20 ft up in an oak tree right now - Stupid Duck! She is terrified the babies will fall out of the tree when they hatch so she has to constantly check the nest. She has no idea how long it has been except it is now at least 3 1/2 weeks since she has seen her up in the tree. There are 25 eggs up there!

10. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkBSkFyUyv0
    I
    hope hers bounce too! LOL

Oh and my muscovey drake, which is a BIG boy flies very well and so do all of my youngsters/females!Im making then an inclosed pen next summer so they stop pooping on the pool deck and i wont have to worry about clipping wings!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by