Who secures their ducks/geese at night?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by keeperofthehearth, Feb 11, 2009.

1. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

How/where? Do you put them in shed, barn or built duck shelter?

We have coyote, fox, racoons, stray dogs and whatnot. [​IMG]
    Racoons are a major problem. Right now they are staying in the chickens secured run at night but that isn't going to work for long. The chickens and ducks "tolerate" eachother but that's about it. We can tell we are headed for trouble if we don't give them separate quarters. I am hoping we can keep the peace for at least a few weeks more (winter is coming back after 1 wk of mild but wet weather) till we can get the time to put something up. [​IMG] We are thinking of building an open air coop/shelter for our Muscovies and train them to go in at night while they free range during the day. We figured we could put up tarps to help block the cold/wind in winter. We were going to wait to get Muscovies till we had more time to plan/build/etc. but had the opportunity to get these young adults at a great price. Now we need to hustle! [​IMG] WE ALWAYS DO THIS!!! [​IMG]

2. feathersgalore

feathersgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Central Ohio
    My calls are in an enclosure at all times, but the rouens and geese go out during the day and are put in at night. We have to many things around that would love to eat them. The ducks are really good about making their way to the barn each evening, but the geese have to be herded.

3. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    My muscoveys and chickens were penned at night together for years and never had a problem. I have recently seperated them as they needed a bit more room. My ducks never put themselves away at night I always have to go round them into the pens.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i lock mine up every night in their hutch...we trained them to go in there every night at dusk to be fed. we also have a big coyote problem here! creepy things! [​IMG]

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Mine go in at night, usually on their own - although during the storm that just passed, I had three call ducks who refused to go in and are happily swimming in the puddles in my yard right now.

We have so many predators, I would worry about them out at night, though. Mine go into either the coop with the chickens (two of the calls sleep in there) or into their own coop next door (the three who refused to go inside today).

I'm lucky that I have a lot of coops - so I have options, in fact, I have one coop empty that is going to be for either more laying hens, or the ducks and geese I have coming up this month and next month. I have the ducklings already (they're inside still) the geese will be here end of March.

I also have two doghouses for them, in case they prefer to use those instead of the coop. I can close them up into one of the doghouses, and the other, I could put a door on or I can drag it into the chicken run for protection (on yet another coop).

meri

6. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    With the first 4 ducks we had, they were housed with our RIRs in the same coop. We did however have a chicken wire wall separating them so they could have some kind of privacy.

They got locked up every night. The routine is pretty much the same with my 4 new ducks and my chickens. They get along just fine. Hoping to build a new addition so as to separate them into their own rooms.

7. Southerngirl

Southerngirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have a routine in the evening with our Black Cayugas/Geese. I fill the feed bucket and they will follow me into their pen so I can lock them in at night. Once they see the bucket they start racing to the pen. It is a sad sight to see a duck or chicken killed by a coon or oppossum when they are not penned up at night. I know from experience. Get them something to lock them in at night, you will rest much better ! [​IMG]

8. links_56

links_56 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2008
    Mercer County, IL
    I lock mine up they stay with the chickens. That way there safe!

9. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Mine stay in an enclosed run with their house attached, so they can wander in and out at will. I lock them up in their house at night though, just for extra security. They have to be coaxed in, they would rather stay out and play all night.

10. keeperofthehearth

keeperofthehearth Chillin' With My Peeps

So far it looks as if everyone does lock up their ducks. I know I would sleep better at night knowing they were locked in w/coons and fox prowling about but thought that some might take that chance w/larger ducks and geese to let them remain loose. Thanks for responding. .... and with that I had best get those ducks in. The wind is beginning to gust like crazy and rain is just pouring down. Yeesh!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by