Who sends out Christmas cards?

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Dec 9, 2010.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I remember when I was a child (and dinosaurs delivered the mail [​IMG]) that we would get tons of cards. My mother would tape them up. When you first walked into our house you would be looking at the doorway to the dining room and the stairway. She would tape the cards around the doorway and up the railing. Some eyars they reached all the way to the ceiling.

I loved them coming in the mail, remembering who people were and adding them to the decorations. I loved the sense that I, through my family, was connected to all of these people! (OK I was an odd child, but I recall lying on the floor, staring at them all and thinking about that.)

I send out about 50 cards a year. Last year because of the economic issues we faced I did not send them out. We are sending them out this year.

So far we've gotten four cards [​IMG] We usually get more, but even last year I noticed we weren't getting as many as we used to.

Is it the economy? Do people simply not send them out any more? Are Christmas cards going to go the way of the milk man? (Yeah, I remember him too)

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    At the beginning of my marriage I send out Christmas cards. But it balloons so quickly I had to stop after about 5 years. The first yer I send out about 20 and by year 5 it was over 100 and I just couldn't afford it any more. Unfortunately snail-mail is very expensive.

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    We just sent ours out.....We did it through Hallmark.com this year. Put pics of the kids and stuff on there and had them address and stamp them. Wasn't that expensive (we do less than 50) and it was finally done. We are in the middle of a MAJOR kitchen remodel and there is no way I was getting any out. Hubby is the one that came up with the Hallmark idea and I will give him credit that it was a great one [​IMG]

4. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Yes, we send Christmas cards through the mail. Every year.

Wife does the most of them. Box cards. I have a few select friends
    I buy special cards for, people that have mattered in my life.

ALL CARDS get taped to the front door. It's her rule. Leaves marks,
    and I end up painting the door. We enjoy the cards. And if taping them
    to our door makes my wife happy, it's fine with me.

Save our cards. Every year, we've saved our cards from friends over
    the years.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Yep! I love sending and receiving them!

6. KBChicks

KBChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2010
    PA
    I send out about 45 cards each year...plus special cards for children, parents special friends etc.

We hang the cards we get in the mail on the archway to DH's "Lodge".

I especially love the notes friends write in the cards about how their year has gone.

7. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Thanks for reminding me!

I need stamps now ...

8. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    I just sent mine out to my family and a bunch of my chicken peeps from BYC. Had them made at Walmart with a pic of my newly hatched BLRW. Turned out great and was only $14 for 30 cards done 1 hour photo.

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

We have narrowed our "mail" cards down to about 20, but e-mail cards...... [​IMG] whew!

10. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We save our cards from each year and then in November we take out last year's cards. The kids cut off the front pictures, or parts of them and glue them with little loops of ribbon to construction paper. They make cut, flat, disposable decorations and tree ornaments for the troops!!

Many soldiers find creative ways to decorate the most miserable places, these "ornaments" ship easily and are festive and they don't feel bad about throwing them away.

Please consider doing this!

Next years offering will be thin if I don't get more cards!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by