Who shops at JoAnn's Fabrics?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Rusty Hills Farm, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    When my kids were growing up, their mother used to make many of their clothes. She even made my daughter's wedding gown. I used to buy much of that fabric that I then mailed to my kids' mom and she did the actual sewing. I mostly shopped at JoAnn or Walmart for these. She's gone now, but my daughter has taken up the thimble, so to speak, and makes many of her girls outfits.

I thought it would be neat to send her some fabric for holiday outfits for the girls, so I went online to JoAnn--something new because I always used to go into the stores and the ladies at the counter were always so helpful! Anyhow, they have a 50% off sale running today. I used to use those kinds of sales to be able to afford the better fabrics, so I picked out a nice sparkling satin, and put 3 yds in the quantity box for 2 different colors and went to checkout. There I added the proper code, and the shopping cart recalculated.

Shock. Instead of the discount being on the first CUT of fabric, it is only on the first YARD of fabric, something not disclosed on the site, where it said "first item". Isn't the first cut of fabric considered the "first item" anymore?!? I know that it used to be!

Is the shopping cart goofing up? Or is it now normal to only offer the discounts on the first yard? If it is normal, then so be it. But if the shopping cart is goofing up, then I'll call and talk to someone.

Any insight greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

Rusty

2. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I've not done it online, but usually the store gives it on the first length of fabric. So if I buy a bolt of purple satin I get 20% off the whole bolt. (I've made quite a few gowns so I buy dark satin by the bolt).

3. Rosalind

Rosalind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    I don't shop at JoAnne's fabrics...pretty much for this reason, that even when I went to the stores in person, my order got messed up and I got overcharged. They usually fixed it when I argued with them, but how many times are you willing to sit there with a pocket calculator and argue?

Also, their selection was not so hot. Seems like all they sold over the past, I dunno, 10 years or so, was Halloween costume fabric, holiday print calico, and polyester satin for prom/wedding stuff. No natural fibers, nothing for everyday clothes, just polyester costume material and some poly-blend quilting stuff. And then about a zillion plastic flowers, unpainted birdhouses, and synthetic potpourri oil.

Now I go to fabric.com for sewing projects. Only once did they ever screw up an order, and they were very polite and fixed it quickly. Much better selection too. And they always seem to be running some kind of sale.

4. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    And they always seem to be running some kind of sale.

Good to know!

I've not done it online, but usually the store gives it on the first length of fabric. So if I buy a bolt of purple satin I get 20% off the whole bolt.

Sounds like I need to call, then.

Thanks for your help, saddina and Rosalind!

[​IMG]

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I would have insisted on the discount for all three yards. If they refused to give it to me I would have refused to purchase any of the yardage.

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I shop for certain things there. Batting, thread, flannel. I never buy yardage from them online.
    I have used coupons and the coupons say that one cut of fabric is one item. In store they do honor that.

7. Rusty Hills Farm

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Unfortunately the nearest store is about 100 miles away, so I will call them tomorrow. If I can have 1 cut at the sale price, then I will order. Otherwise, I'll find someplace else. Satin is hardly an uncommon item--not like a specific lace or print would be.

Thanks everyone. Nice to know I'm not the only one who found it odd.

[​IMG]

8. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

I was in last week and given a flyer with coupons. It says the first CUT, not the first yard on the coupons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by