Who should I hatch??

Purely up to you. It is harder this time of the year but there is still a pretty good chance she will be successful if you give her chicks. If it had been a warmer part of the year the chick that fell out may have still been OK when you found it. I've seen really young chicks go through temperatures many people would have trouble believing, but there are limits.

There is a reasonable chance that hen will go broody again next year. It probably will not be early in the year and probably at an inconvenient time for you, seems to work that way a lot, but a reasonable chance.

Mama has been hanging with her flock a bit this afternoon. Not acting broody and fluffing herself up. Still comes to see the eggs on the nest but then turns around and goes back out. Is she no longer broody?

Last edited:
That sounds strange but maybe. Let's see where she sleeps tonight.
36075D9A-084D-4598-BD9C-4D2D85E0FCAC.jpeg

…back on the nest. She was off it all afternoon. Can I trust her with chicks? I don’t know what normal behavior looks like for this stage.

View attachment 3296978
…back on the nest. She was off it all afternoon. Can I trust her with chicks? I don’t know what normal behavior looks like for this stage.

I would candle your eggs and look for movement/life in them, or hold them up to your ear to hear for cheeps and peeping. You said this is her first time, right? She has the hormones for it just not the know-how for it. I'm not sure if she'd be good with chicks or not with it being her first time, and her being so inconsistent. You can try to give her chicks but maybe have a brooder ready, just in case.

She came out with her flock this morning and is walking around with them acting normal. Didn’t care to see me in the nest. I can’t hear anything in any of them. The only one I can see through, I see no movement and I still see quite a bit of light through it so guessing it died many days ago. I took the eggs out. As badly as I want chicks, I think I’d better not trust her this time around. I think she’s over it. Come spring, I better have me another broody or two! 😆

Should I crack them open? I’m curious to see the inside! But I hate smells haha.

No, I would not trust her either this time. Having one hatch she probably started switching over to raising chicks mode from hatching mode, then the chick died and messed her up. She does all that by instinct and hormones and did not get the right reinforcement to know how to go forward. I've never had that happen, where only one hatched and then died.

If you feel you might learn something then open them. Or even if it is pure curiosity. I usually open mine. If they don't stink before you open them they should not smell that bad.

Thanks again for everyone’s help in this thread! Though unsuccessful, I’ve learned so much and I’m excited to try again next year! Definitely going to the farm store today to get my chick baby fix. 🐥 ♥️ 😉

Back
Top Bottom