who shovels snow for their girls?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by yyz0yyz0, Dec 10, 2013.

1. yyz0yyz0

yyz0yyz0 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2012
    Just wondering how many people shovel out their runs whenever it snows? Today was the first real snow for my new girls and I can tell they didn't like it, there were no tracks in the snow. They spent the day under the coop to avoid stepping in the snow, couldn't even get them out into it for scratch.

I sure hope they get used to it as I'm not planning on shoveling it out every time it snows.

2. Nope, don't have to, roof over the run, sides tarped for winter, plenty of flax straw in the ground in the run....

3. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    I only shovel it if it is really deep snow. They aren't a big fan of snow at first but they get over it. :)

4. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    What is your run covered with? Do you have any photos of it? I am thinking about covering my new run when we close on this house we're buying

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Before we built our new coop and run, the chickens free ranged in the gardens. Their coop was quite small too. So in the morning coming down the ramp, seeing all that snow, they would all freeze up and refuse to come out unless I shoveled a path to the greenhouse. Sheer panic in their eyes! LOL They would run as fast as they could in the pathway to get out of the snow.

This year, I am NOT shoveling snow, thanks to the new coop and covered run!!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  6. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    I don't have hens of my own, but the neighbors have a dozen who spend the day in my yard. I absolutely love them! So when it snows, my neighbor puts a plow on his 4 wheeler and makes them a path to my yard, where they play and chill out under the trees and holly bushes. My husband and I shovel additional paths around the yard, so they can get to their favorite spots, especially by my back door where grapes or birdseed comes from!

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    How cute!

8. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Our first snow stopped the birds in their tracks as they came down the ramp to the run. They didn't come out of the coop for 2 days. Today I noticed that they were under the coop and had what snow was left on the ramp trampled down and a path beaten in the snow to get under the coop.

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    First year with chooks and I live in a snow belt, east coast of Lake Michigan...we can get ALOT of snow.

I shovel most the snow off part of the run, an area about 8' x 8', around the door into the run and the pop door/ramp. I also have to clean the snow off the awning over the pop door just under the wire run roof. If I let it pile up, it'll be a mess. There is an area just under the coop adjacent to the shoveled part that they can hang out in out of the wind.

How long this will last remains to be seen...lol...they don't like the snow but will come out to the shoveled part if it's now snowing/blowing and there's scratch out there.
    I also have to shovel a path from the back door out to the run...well I don't have to, but with bad knees it makes it much easier for me to get out there.

In this pic, we've gotten about 12 inches of snow over the last 2 days...luckily it's nice fluffy lake effect, and it's stayed cold, so it's easy to shovel.

[​IMG]

10. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    We experienced an ice storm this past week. -hens went into the coop Thursday night, and haven't emerged since. -day six of my flock being indoor birds. [​IMG]I actually went out yesterday and broke up the ice sheets in the run and removed them. Did the gals venture out? No! -just gawked at me from their little door. -even opened the double doors to the front of the coop and offered them fresh greens. -came down, took the greens, and ran back into the coop...... I give up. My chickens don't realize they're chickens. -all of the shoveling and ice removal for nothin'. They're hilarious!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by