1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who shows dogs?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Whitewinterwolf, May 6, 2011.

1. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Anyone else show dogs as a hobby?
    I have been at it since I was 7, and so far every dog has enjoyed it about as much as I have [​IMG]
    My baby Leo has been my most successful show dog:
    1 Best in show, multiple group placings, been invited to Westminster twice, is Rally titled, obedience trained and is a licensed service dog! hehe, he is such a love bug to.
    Are there any other show people hiding in the chicken forum?

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  2. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I am looking into getting into this. Not really the showing but the obedience part of it. I'm also hoping to get my son involved as well. We get our new puppy 5/22. She is a GSD and we hope to get started with her.

3. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Obedience is loads of fun, as long as the dog listens XD
    I have watched the obedience ring and helped catch wayward dogs [​IMG] But it is a great way to bond with your dog, teach your kids something new and fun, and just plain have loads of fun!
    Best of luck to you!

4. Candiss

Candiss Burdette Bantams

Jun 30, 2010
    Alabama
    I showed Amstaffs for years, but do not right now. I have had many AKC CH and won in Nationals and got an Award of Merit from the Bred by at Eukanuba. I lost my dog to Kidney failure and after that I lost my desire to show, he was the best ever to me. Fantastic dog, he was my baby. I miss it sometimes. Sounds like you have a awesome dog, congrats on all that you have done with Leo and all his success.. [​IMG]

5. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Oh wow! Your Amstaff sounds like he as a good show dog, Im sorry for your loss though [​IMG] Its never easy to loose a beloved pet...But at least you had some fun and good times together right [​IMG]

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    Both of my dogs are rescued, so conformation isn't an option for me (they're white GSD's so would be DQ'd for their coat color anyway). But we did do APDT rally obedience for a few years before my son was born. My oldest dog is a nervous wreck around lots of strange people. It took us 4 shows before she finally earned her level 1 title and even then it wasn't usually pretty. She tried, she really did, she just also kept hoping any time anyone ever opened a door anywhere in the building that maybe we'd drop what we were doing and run out that door. Her last run was so beautiful though it almost made me cry, even tho she NQ'd by breaking the sit on the sit-walk around. We were in a metal pole barn type building and there was a torrential downpour during that last run. The rain on the roof drowned out all background noise and since it was pouring no one was taking their dog out while we were in the ring. She was so relaxed and focused on me. I will probably never enter her in another rally trial just so I can treasure the memory of that last run forever.

My younger dog loved rally. He didn't always Q, but he always tried. I was so happy that we got his ARCH (a combined level championship) on his last run. Especially since I thought I had NQ'd us. He had so much fun on that run because once I thought I NQ'd us the rest of the run was just for fun. One of these days when I can afford it again we'll probably start back in on it. I have also dabbled in carting and if I ever find the time to do some serious training I would love to enter a draft trial some day.

7. Morgaine

Morgaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Texas
    I am really interested in the cart too! I would love to hear more about this.

8. Whitewinterwolf

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Awe the poor thing [​IMG] But at least she tried for you, and with that last run it sounds like she did perfectly ^^
    That way you can say to people her last one was flawless. [​IMG]

Hey if he enjoys it that is all that matters! Hmm, I have only heard of Fly ball and water retrieval, to be honest? What is Carting?

9. akpeeps

akpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Wasilla, Alaska
    I started showing with Keeshonden on a limited scale about 12 yrs ago. I'm most proud of our most recent Kees champion as she finished in bred by and qualified for Eukanuba last year. She was from our only litter and our first bred by champion. [​IMG] We've also shown a Great Pyrenees, who is a retired champion. I got a bit burned out with all the grooming involved with Kees and Pyrs, so branched out to wash n show dogs. I got my first Ibizan Hound 5 yrs ago and my second Ibizan just last August. She's currently in CA being shown by her breeder and just needs 4 more points. Last but not least, I now have an 8 month old Whippet that just picked up his first major at his first show last March. We haven't done much outside of conformation in several years except lure coursing with the hounds. I'd like to start agility again and start working on Rally titles. I lost my best agility Kees unexpectedly to cancer several years ago and just lost the enthusiam. [​IMG]
    We also adopted a deaf American Bulldog that I'm working with and hope to do Rally with her.

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  10. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    Out of it now and I got a late start. I was 12

Started with GSDs, did some handling and lots of training for years. Had GSDs and Dobies for 10 years, then Afghans, Borzois (Russian Wolfhounds then) and Akitas, and had some great Rotties that I didn't show AKC, but did show ADRK and have had lots of Sch IIs and IIIs. Rotties were 20 years long and if I had some of my lines or anything close I would have them again. Maybe! Getting old and worn out so maybe not. LOL

Missing a breed.....Yep! Old!

My husband bought my Cane Corso, hoping he had gotten me another show dog. I still co owned Rotties when I met him, but stopped showing. She's not show quality, so we started her in SAR, but she got a cut while training and even keeping it clean and disinfected didn't help. She got a bad staph infection and lost all of her hair. Three vets suggested we put her down. I worked on her skin for months to get it to heal and then another year before she had all her hair. It's still thin, but she'll be 7 on the 18th.

Got a GSD pup after Christmas, but another PQ. She was actually a gift from someone who didn't know I had my CC and thought we needed someone to guard us after my husband died. Did I mention, she's nuts?

I did raise Toy Poodles for a little while until a year ago when my little male came up missing. I bred SQ but didn't show myself. I'm tall and just didn't think I needed to be out there with my tiny dogs. LOL I had SQ Partis and Abstracts, waiting for them to go into American rings, but AKC is a bit behind the rest, so I'm good for with the two BIG lapdogs for now I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by