who stays/who goes?..A roosters happiness is at stake

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by RevaVirginia, May 6, 2009.

1. RevaVirginia

RevaVirginia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    Reva, VA
    4 roosters: 2 BR - 1 RIR - 1 JG

got gals for em: 8 BR - 7 RIR - 4 JG......was 10/10/5 *numbers after losses. Minimum was 25.

BR 1 of them seems to be alpha, other seemed to be alpha in their "half size" days. That'd be Popeye and Rocky respectively.

JG Named Black, is most attentive to the pen since the gals were put outside. Scaredy rooster or over shy but easily outsizes other roos.

RIR Named Red, is mean to a point where I see him spitting out feathers of Rocky on a daily basis. He'll sneak up behind the other roosters and *BAM not just the usual chest dance the others do.

About an hour ago I coaxed Popeye in the pen and left him inside with the gals. (trust him the most) nowhere near the aggression I've witnessed from the others, which might be a bad thing..<shrug> too docile?

All the roosters are, without a doubt more, handsome than George Clooney, personal opinion but looks isn't what i'm after for the gals/not an issue.

From what I can figure from reading posts is 2 roosters would be ideal ratio, so without saying who I prefer....Some thoughts?

2. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    I would keep Popeye & Black. Once Red is gone the others will move up the pecking order.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks &amp; Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I would definitely keep Black and probably Popeye too. You really can't tell how docile or chicken a subordinate rooster is until they are out from under the thumb (spur?) of the alpha rooster. I had the same worries that my Thor was going to be too shy or scaredy cat to be the alpha once I rehomed Zeus, but Thor manned up beautifully to the job. He's good with the hens and very protective of them.

4. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Yes, and if Red is already that nasty, he could turn into a real problem child. I'm prejudiced though, I was mauled by a RIR as a child!

5. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    get rid of the pitbull...err- I mean RIR roo....

LOL

a bird that viscious could turn on people too or get too rough with the hens....no need to have a cock fight in your backyard when Popeye and Rocky may work things out and live peacefully with their ladies and treat them well.

[​IMG]

e

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by