Who takes out newly hatched chicks to put in brooder?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by floridachickhatcher, Jun 6, 2011.

1. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    I was wondering i have noticed that when the new chicks hatch they are happy as can be of course and they start crawling and walking but when they get the hang of it then they start crawling all over the eggs and rolling the non hatched eggs and i was thinking when they roll that egg after the chick has settled in it wont it be rolled upside down then and take it even longer to hatch now from it being moved into a different position? or even kill them from the hard movement? so i took out my 5 newly hatch chicks as they hatched from the bator and put them in my tub brooder and so far going on day 3 and they are fine
    [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I take them out if there are no pips, but leave them if others are in the process of hatching. Actually the rolling around of the eggs encourages them to hatch.

3. floridachickhatcher

floridachickhatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Hollister,FL
    Quote:well i was going to and bury them and wash out the incubator at 3 but its going to have to wait until tomorrow since its fixing to rain here

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    I hatch in egg cartons so chicks can stay in the bator longer and not knock eggs around. After so many hatching I do a quick group grab and move.

5. shadowpaints

shadowpaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Rigby, Idaho
    Quote:im wondering about trying this also.. did ur hatch rate go up when you did it this way?

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Quote:im wondering about trying this also.. did ur hatch rate go up when you did it this way?

It has, so far so good with 80%+ on shipped eggs hatching in cartons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by