Who the heck laid the egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by parkersmom120106, Jun 22, 2010.

1. parkersmom120106

parkersmom120106 In the Brooder

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    So..I got my first egg today. It was a little bitty egg. I read posts about first eggs and it was about that size. I immediately assumed my bantam cochin laid it because she's about that age and it was so small (I think she hatch at the end of January/early February. I really have to start writing it down). Then I went about my business and realized that I don't think it was her because the egg was white. Don't cochins lay brown eggs? Here's what I have in the pen..3 bantam cochin pullets..1 is about 4 months old and the other 2 are a couple weeks behind her..1 rhode island red pullet that is 3-4 months old...1 pullet that was supposed to be RIR but isn't dark red enough to be (I think she's a red sex link) that is about 4 months old...2 white leghorn hens that are about 11 months old...a frizzle roo and a serama roo. After I realized that the cochin probably didn't lay the egg I obviously assumed that it was one of the longhorns, but they are 11 months old. I bought them about a month ago and the guy said they were already laying..they haven't laid anything for me though. If they have laid previously, would the egg still be so small? The leghorns are the only white egg layers I have out there. The shell was fine and it was shaped correctly, just little. I ate the egg not long after and it was good..it seemed a little salty though..does that sound right? I just cooked it in margarine, I didn't add any salt. It's the same way I fry grocery store eggs and they don't taste so salty. It was SO easy to cook though. It stayed together and was easy to flip without breaking the yolk. I loved that! Anyway..any ideas would be great!

2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    It could be a "wind" egg other wise known as a "fart" egg.

3. parkersmom120106

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    I thought that at first too, but this one was bigger than those seem in the pictures I've seen. It had a yolk and everything, it was just little. It seemed to be about the size of all the first eggs that I'm seeing pictures of. I should have taken a picture.

4. valreegrl

valreegrl Songster

May 7, 2009
    Okay...well you can eliminate one.....the RIR will lay a brown egg (on the darker side).

5. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    My guess is the leghorn's stopped laying due to the stress of moving and are just starting up again.

6. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    I second the leghorns. I had NHs that were laying when I bought them and then stopped...when they started again, they laid pullet-sized eggs for a few weeks.

7. mickistoy

mickistoy Chirping

Jun 21, 2010
    northern ohio
    ok...time for a newbie question.......whats a "fart egg"? this leads to way too many images in my mind![​IMG]

8. parkersmom120106

Dec 9, 2008
    Middleburg, FL
    Thanks justme and slackwater...that's what I needed to know. I figured it was the leghorns, but wasn't sure if they would lay pullet sized eggs after a break or if it just happens when they first start. Mystery solved lol. Let's hope the other one lays and they continue to lay for me! [​IMG]

9. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Crowing

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by