Who throws in the towel, broody or me

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fishermans wife, May 15, 2010.

1. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    This is our first time hatching chicks, and I had 2 broodys to help me! I put 4 eggs under one, 3 under the other . Both were perfect broody momma's. 2 chicks hatched under each hen 2 days early. One hen abandoned her last egg yesterday to show the ways of the chicken world to her chicks (thus all housework has stopped to watch...). So, I put that egg under the other hen who continues to sit on the remaining eggs, only getting up to poop and eat a little bit.

I candled very quickly a couple of days ago just to make sure none were clear as I hadn't done that before. All eggs have very distinct air cells (or whatever you call it) and the rest was dark. I saw no movement, but I only took a few seconds per egg, scared of doing something wrong. The remaining "sitter" sits up higher - and I often can see the eggs as she keep them toward the front, making me think they aren't warm enough. I think it is to allow her chicks to get under her.

It is now day 23 - should I keep letting her sit on them. I would be so thrilled if one or two more hatched. Does she know? Unfortunately, the ones I really wanted to hatch are the ones that haven't so far , but I am thrilled to get 4 fuzzy butts that are so cute I can hardly stand it! Thank goodness for digital!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    That's a hard one. Odds are that all have hatched that are going to. I'm assuming that all the eggs started at the same time. I think I would give her two more days, they call it done. If four hatched early, then these are realy overdue already, but a couple of more day should not hurt anything. And if they are from separate flocks, it is possible genetics could delay some eggs hatching a bit. I read that in a paper on the University of Virginia poultry site.

Good luck!

3. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Thank you so much for such a quick reply! Wow, I love this site! I did set all the eggs on the same day. They are from the same person (local not shipped), but different breeds. The 2 frizzles, 1 maran and 1 EE hatched together. I have 3 EE's left to hatch. I will give it a couple more days or 'till momma decides she is done. I just don't want a rotten egg, but I don't want to throw in the towel early either! Thanks so much!

4. fishermans wife

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    Well, I threw in the towel, after candling, then trying to floating egg in water thing....I opened one to find just a yolk, a second one had a fully developed but dead chick (very facinating, but so so so sad [​IMG] ), and the third - a white milky substance....so 4 out of 7 on our first hatch ever - using 2 broodys who are turning out to be wonderful moms! Now here's hoping all are pullets [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by