Who to cull?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by TwinMommy2009, Jul 18, 2010.

1. TwinMommy2009

TwinMommy2009 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    I bought Buff Orpingtons straight run, 11 roos, 6 hens. Its culling time and Im wondering what I should look for in my "keeper rooster"? Largest comb? Biggest feet?? Thanks for your help!!! [​IMG]

2. shellz131

shellz131 Sams Memory Lane

Jun 28, 2010
    Malone Ny
    look for the nicest roo and one that does his "job" well

3. TwinMommy2009

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    Thanks for your quick reply! [​IMG] Well, they all seem fairly nice and could be great flock protectors.... wondering more so based on breed standard/looks.

4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Maybe post pics of the top 3 or 5 candidates and let us help you pic. Personally I would go for overall size and type first.

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I like too look for, above all, a roo who treats his hens well, and who won't attack humans. How old are yours? If you could maybe pick your top three or so, and then keep them until they're six or seven months old, you'll have a good idea of their temperaments...

#1 - NEVER attacks a human.
    #2 - Calls hens to food.

Also I like to see him court the hen first (spreads wings and prances in a scooping motion in front of her). I read an article somewhere that said that in olden days a rooster would court a hen, and only breed her if she accepted, and crouched to allow him to breed her. Which was much more gentle for her than being chased, finally caught, and roughly held by the rooster while being bred. These days many roosters don't court the hens, and instead they just run them down.

I have three roosters, one of which has a date in a couple weeks with the big black pot... He's good for #1, only occasionally does #2, and never courts a hen prior to breeding her.

6. TwinMommy2009

Dec 29, 2009
    The Deep South
    Thanks, this is very good info to know! [​IMG] I chose what I thought to be the most even tempered, largest and "prettiest". [​IMG]

Thanks again. [​IMG]

Quote:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by