Who to get rid of mites????!??!?!?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by coconut120000, Sep 3, 2014.

1. coconut120000

coconut120000 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2013
    First,one of my chickens got mites and now all 7 of then have mites!!!![​IMG]
    I hear you can put dyatamatios(I probably spelled it wrong:) ) earth on them, but i was wondering if anyone new other curse for mites. Maybe dried herbs or something I could put on my chickens? I think they are red mites.
    Any tips or web links would be great.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Diatamaceous Earth is one thing that some people use to treat mites, but it isn't always effective. It is more of a preventative measure than an actual treatment.

The product that I've had most success with is Sevin dust. It is usually sold in the gardening section of some stores (for insect control), but can also be found in livestock sections. Dust it into the vent area feathers of the chicken and beneath the wings.

Other products, like Poultry Protector (by Manna-Pro) are available as well. I've used Poultry Protector and haven't found it to work as well or quickly as Sevin. Frontline Spray for dogs and cats may also be used, but shouldn't be used on egg laying birds.

If they have red mites, you'll need to clean the coop too. Remove all the bedding. Dust all the crevices with Sevin Dust or spray them with Poultry Protector, then replace with fresh bedding.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  3. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    Diatomaceous Earth. If you have a feed store, go there, they will sell it cheaper than Tractor Supply. Clean out your coop and sprinkle the powder everywhere - run, coop, steps, roosts, nest boxes. Dust the birds - say a handful of dust as if you were bathing the dog.

Sevin dust label says it is hazardous to humans and domestic animals and is absorbed through the skin. I personally would not use it on your birds. If you want to put it around the perimeter of the area, the label warns it is very toxic to bees and you want to avoid water run off. Diatomaceous earth is not a chemical - it's like microscopic glass chards that basically shred the outside layer of insects, killing them within hours. Some folks add a small amount to the feed and water for an internal cleanse, but there is debate whether it works on internal parasites.

4. azahn

azahn Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2012
    Northeast Texas
    P.S. You could even put a box in the run/coop that was filled with 1/2 Diatomaceous Earth, 1/2 sand/soil mixture and they will use it as a dust bath.... problem solved!

5. polkadottie

polkadottie New Egg

Sep 3, 2014
    I have used peat moss with the powder and the hens really like it.

6. coconut120000

Dec 7, 2013
    Ok thanks soooooooo much for all the replies. :)

7. MeepBeep

MeepBeep Chillin' With My Peeps

8. coconut120000

Dec 7, 2013
    When I was spreading the deatamatios earth I wore a bandanna over my mouth and nose because I now it's bad to inhale, but what about my chickens? Is it safe for then to breath? Should I move then somewhere else while I'm doing it?

9. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    You can try the DE and I hope it works for you. I never found success with it. I don't particularly like using chemicals but I liked less losing a bird to mites or lice. I now use seven. I use it at night and inside the pens and sparingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by