Who turned the switch back on? (PIC)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wynette, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Okay, so of my 6 pullets, only 1 is laying. I've been getting 3-5 eggs a week, occasionally an extra one once or twice a week. So I check nest boxes when I got home from work yesterday, and I found FOUR eggs! Could NOT believe it! And, to top it off, one was a SUPER WOMBO egg of 3.85 ozs.! I've had big ones, but thus far, that is my biggest one. I took a pic (sorry - not sure why it's fuzzy!). The 4 eggs on the left are the ones I got yesterday, the bottom right egg is a Jumbo I put in the pic for comparison to the WOMBO, and the bottom left one weighed in as a medium egg. I know this isn't a big deal to most of you, but I was just thrilled, and had to share!:

[​IMG]

2. Jack T.

Jack T. Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2008
    Central Oklahoma
    Michigan???? My doggone Oklahoma chickens are eating, drinking, and being merry. . .but not laying. Goofy chickens.

3. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Yeah, it's just heartbreaking to me when I go check and find nothing. Maybe you're "switch" well get turned back on soon, too! [​IMG]

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Back on? Mine started laying the end of August and have laid all winter. [​IMG]

5. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    LUCKY!!!! What breed(s) do you have? Whatever they are, can I have some?

6. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine took a break for a couple of weeks while we had some sub 0 weather, but they've been laying like crazy ever since. Yesterday I got like 47 eggs and two duck eggs.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:ISA Browns and Blacks. They started laying at 15 weeks. I was really surprised to find an egg in the nest box.

8. redchicken

redchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2007
    Eastern Pa
    mine have been laying like nuts for a week

9. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Wynette, you will have to let us know if that's a three yoker wombo egg. It's huge! Glad you have more hens laying now.

10. Wynette

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Heidi, nope - it was only a double yolker, and I ate it for dinner that nigh, because I accidentally dropped it on the counter after I weighed it. Must have been SOOOO heavy that I couldn't handle the weight! B AHAAHA

Only got one egg last night. Sheesh! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by