Who uses a hatcher?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cackle, Apr 10, 2009.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I wondered why people would use 2 incubators one to start off with and one to hatch. But now that I am on day 20 of my first hatch I wish I had a second incubator that I could have either moved half the eggs into or just bigger so it was not so crowded.

Don't get me wrong I love the Brinsea but it is so crowded that I can't see how many have hatched or the eggs that have not hatched. I am thinking if I got a hovabator or made a styrofoam incubator I could use it for hatching.

Why do you use a second machine to hatch and what difference has it made in your hatches?

2. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    The main advantage for me is that I can have staggered hatches and still maintain proper humidity for each, incubating and hatching. I have eggs with three or four different hatch dates, and I just move them over to the hatcher on day 18. I usually set everything on a monday so I can keep track of it, That gives me time to get the hatch out even is its a little late, and get the hatcher cleaned up and ready to go for the next batch. It allows me to set the eggs when they are fresher because I don't have to wait to get a full bator before I start the incubation.

3. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Jen,

I did not think about that advantage. That makes sense and would work well for me because then I would not have 24 eggs hatching in the Brinsea. I just had to do the ultimate non no and pull out the hatchedd chicks. It was so crowded that the 2 silkie eggs that had pipped and halfway trhrugh zipping were stuck into the larger empty shells. Hopefully I did not compromise the other 12 eggs.

I could do like you and stagger the hatch and not hatch bantam sized eggs with the lager eggs.

This is a first for me so I am still learning. I just hate for the eggs to pay for my mistakes.

Susan

4. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Just don't get ahead of yourself and start incubating in the hatcher, then you have too many incubating to have a dedicated hatcher, and you know what that means.... it means I need another incubator!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by