who uses metal fountains for watering ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, May 20, 2010.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    i mean those 3-5-8 gal metal fountain type waterers that often go with a heater base. seems drinking water could be kept cleaner if they could be kept from jumping into it. you could keep a fountain type for drinking and provide for a period each day a deeper somethin that they could clean faces in. so anyone water ducks with one of those?

2. chickboss

chickboss Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    I haven't tried one of those. My ducks do have a raised 5gal plastic waterer as well as a bucket full of water for head cleaning, and their pool, and they still mess op the 5gal......I would love to know if the fountian works better.

3. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    sounds like your 5 gal raised waterer might be just a plastic version of what i'm thinking of. i have one of those--its great for the month old ducklings. yeah they get it dirty, but at least theyre not ingesting their poop alll the time. trying to give the swim water less, so as to keep crap eating down. all our adults seem fine, but i can't imagine drinking poop tea all day is really helpful. there's gotta be a way to water ducks without having them drinking poop tea all their lives. hence my wanting to limit the deep water to what seems 'necessary' and truly 'good' for them all................
    thanks for your reply

4. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    Yeah, I hear ya. I change that pool water out all the time, but still get a little grossed out when they drink out of it, that's why I have the other two as well. LOL, at least they have the option to not drink poop tea. It amazes me they can drink that and not be constantly sick. If you come up with something cool, be sure to post. [​IMG]

5. jmc

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    yes i will, but i'm sure it won't be very original! you take care and i appreciate your interest!

6. chickboss

Mar 23, 2010
    You never know! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by