Who wants BIG speckled chickens? (Like "Swedish Flower Hens")

alohachickens

Crowing
15 Years
Dec 14, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone!

I haven't posted on here for a while, but in the meantime I've been working (very, very slowly, sigh . . . ) on trying to get some BIG speckled chickens - similar to "Swedish Flower Hens" or imagine Speckled Sussex or Exchequer Leghorns, but in LOTS of neat colors.

Here is the link to the Swedish Spotted Chickens on Feathersite:
http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Swede/BRKSwedeSpot.html

OK, admittedly there hasn't been a lot of progress, (it's harder than I thought when I first got into this) but seeing a few bright spots at last, so I thought I'd finally tell folks what I've been up to.

Instead of droning on and on and on here, I built one of those easy "free" websites last night to share pix and info:

http://alohachickens.webs.com/

I was about to totally give up on this idea, when I found this bantam cross hen and a little roo next door just a few months ago. Here's the hen:

alohachickens004.jpg

She is small, but I'm trying to increase the size, and so far two of the chicks I hatched from her are colorful, and one definately looks like it will be "standard" size with three colors of mottling. (Buff/black/white.)

So, is anyone else on here remotely interested in this sort of thing? A big chicken that is a good layer, but comes in a rainbow of mottled colors?

I'll be sharing eggs and stock with anyone who is interested in developing this idea. Eggs for hatching and chicks/culled adults will all be FREE just for the cost of shipping. (Or free for pick up in the Phoenix, AZ area.)

You just need to have the desire to try and develop this idea, and agree to stick with it for a year or two, then share your hatching eggs/culls with myself and others eventually, if you have any success with it.

In the meantime, I'd try to develop colorful "base stock" to supply to people who want to specialize in developing certain colors, (like blue/white, for example) and increase body size and egg production.

I'd just offer some base stock eggs at first, and I would be happy to share future eggs from hens that show any progress here on my end, to help you along as it goes. It would be up to *you* to decide what color to focus on, and what standard size breed to cross them with. (Buff Orpington? Black Austrolorps? Blue Marans?) So there would be lots of room for creativity and fun!

I have some chicks out of this hen right now, that are FREE to someone in the Phoenix area. I would just like to know if they develop color as they grow or not. Right now it doesn't look like they will be mottled, but if you live in my area, I can give you an extra rooster later on that does show mottling to see if color can be pulled out in the next generation. If the color is recessive, this may work.

Read more about that on the web site . . .

http://alohachickens.webs.com/currentprogress.htm

I'm not an "expert" in chicken genetics, I'm sure many people on here are much, much more knowledgeable than I am about all this. (I do have a good understanding of genetics in general, however, so feel free to "talk nerdy to me" about simple dominants and recessive genes, LOL, I'll probably understand.)

I thought it would be neat to see blue/white speckled, red and white, all kinds of fun colors on a standard size meat/egg "homestead" type chicken body type!

What do you think?

Sommer
smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, at first I thought the same thing! I looked at the Sussex, and thought, wouldn't it be neat if the mahogany color was replaced with a dark orangey buff? Candy Corn Chickens! LOL.

However, my first generation Speckled Sussex crosses didn't show the cool speckles on any of them. I don't know enough about the genes that are in play with that color, but I suspect it's a little trickier to work with.

My guess (from what little I've been experimenting with so far) the mottled color I'm working with now may be a little easier to "play" with, but perhaps some chicken color expert on here can tell us more?

Sommer

Oh, I found this photo on Feathersite.com that shows a "mutt" chicken from Columbia that appears to be a red/white standard size mottled chicken. Check out "La Pecosa" the sixth one down.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGA/Colombia/BRKCriolla.html

Wish I had her DNA here to add to my flock!

I'm calling the black and white ones here "checkered" and the brown/black/white ones "calico" but what would you call a red and white mottled chicken if you were naming a new color? "Picnic"? (Like the red and white checkered tablecloth?) Or would they be considered the main course at a picnic instead? Eeep!

What would you call the color on a chocolate and white mottled chicken? Cafe Au Lait? Or "Chiccachino"? Ha ha ha . . . .

Sorry . . . being silly now . . .

Sommer

Oh they are just lovely... GOOD JOB!

Being an artist I am sure you can come up with an interesting name.

There has to be a name for flower other then french, 'flur'.

From, "behind the name . com" ...

Flower: Simply from the English word flower for the blossoming plant. It is derived (via Old French) from Latin flos.

Speckeled Flower Hens.

Beautiful Blossom Hens.

Florets...

I vote for 'Florets'!​

Last edited:
your first cross will not show the mottling, which you found out. If you take the F1 and cross them to each other then you will get some mottled....

Back
Top Bottom