1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who wants to hatch with me DUCKY EGGS went in bator today

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by starryeyes, May 9, 2009.

1. starryeyes

starryeyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    So after a very poor hatch of rouen ducks 14 went in and we got 3 ducks. I am just going to use the Hova Bator for duck eggs it is full with 40 rouen eggs. Last time i had chicken in there so this time the chickens are in the new home made bator. The ducks in hova bator temp 99 humidity 60. They went in at 4 pm So anyone trying ducks post away.

2. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I had 13 Blue Swedish duck eggs go in the incubator this morning.[​IMG]

3. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    I set a dozen blue swedish on Tuesday. This is my first attempt ever! I just bought a new Brinsea eco 20. I candled last night but didn't see anything [​IMG] Not sure if that is normal but I will try again in a couple of days. I don't have a hygrometer yet either so I'm not sure what my humidity has been.

When can you expect to see veining when candling duck eggs?

This is so exciting!! I really hope to have a bunch of cute little duckies!!

4. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    We saw veins around day 8 i think but got a real good view around day 10. So this time around we will be cking on days 10 and 15 and one more time right before we take the turner out.

good luck cant waite to read updates

Starry

5. BirdBrained

BirdBrained Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I had a hen go Broody 5-8-09, mind if I join in?

6. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    No go ahead join us the more the better [​IMG] I have 3 female rouens they just lay there egss all over LOL I dont think they have it in them to make a nest and sit on them. I have to keep them locked in there area till after 11 am then let them free range. If i let them have the run of the yard they will not lay eggs . Or if they do its like going on a easter egg hunt trying to find them all over the yard.

I will take pics in a little while and show you the three babies that hatched last week,\\.

Starry

7. starryeyes

Apr 3, 2009
    On a side note I also have 8 pekin ducks I think all but one are males [​IMG] not what i was hoping for LOL. Does anyone know at what age ducks start to lay eggs? Thanks

Starry

8. BirdBrained

BirdBrained Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2009
    Alabama
    I was begining to wonder if these girls would ever sit,so I gathered the first clutch and tried them in the bator and lost them all,just started leaving eggs in the nest this time and after a week she puffed up,thinks both are broody,they share a nest by their own choice.

Last edited: May 10, 2009
  9. kycrawler

kycrawler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2009
    Crawfordsville , IN
    i set 3 dozen on the 9 th and 3 eggs on the 6 th

10. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I just set 7 chocolate Call duck eggs on the 5th. I candled last night and saw veining in 6 of the 7 and it was iffy on the 7th. I was so psyched. I didn't think I would see veining this early. It was only 4 days! But sure enough there was the definite veining!

Laurie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by