Who wants to have some Button Quail fun??? You? How about you?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by obsessedwithbirds, Feb 23, 2011.

1. obsessedwithbirds

obsessedwithbirds Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2010
    East Lansing
    So, I have had GREAT success with my babies! I tried to post pics lat week, but they didn't work... I think they're working now, however!
    Any guesses on what I've got at this point? They hatched maybe 3 1/2 weeks ago and I LOVE them!

If you know the SEX AND COLOR TYPE please let me know! Even if you know only 1 or 2 of them, everything helps!

And, as usual, forgive my pics, the only way I can get them online easily is with my blackberry :p

[​IMG]
    a Cage 1: guessing male...

[​IMG]
    b Cage:1: Also male? No idea on color type

[​IMG]
    c Cage:1 Looks female to me... pearl???

[​IMG]
    d Cage:1 looks like a wild female, right?

[​IMG]
    e Cage:1 I think it's a male, b/c he has red feathers around his vent and undertail coverts. Interesting that he has a little white patch by his breast!

[​IMG]
    f Cage:1 This is, I'm guessing here, male? And it has a white belly and a white primary flight on each wing

[​IMG]
    g Cage:1 Male? Is he a wild-type?

[​IMG]
    a Cage:2 I'm guessing we can't visually sex this one like some of the others, it's just pretty! ;D ...this one might actually be my favorite!

[​IMG]
    b Cage:2 Is this one a cinnamon??

[​IMG]
    c Cage:2 Wild type male? This one is another one of my favorites! He's getting so pretty!

[​IMG]
    d Cage: 2 now this is just wishful thinking, but I was hoping it was a pied or something b/c some of the feathers are coming in light!

[​IMG]
    e Cage:2 Wild type female?

[​IMG]
    f Cage:2 Is this a silver female?

[​IMG]
    g Cage:2 My only guess is maybe a red breasted female??

[​IMG]
    h Cage:2 Is this a blue-faced? I don't see any red feathers near the vent, for the record

If you don't want to sex/ID them, still feel free to marvel in their beauty! [​IMG]
    I love these guys!!!

-DJ

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Okay, I'm no expert, but I'll give it a shot [​IMG]

#1 looks like a Golden Pearl male.
    #2 looks like a wild female...do you see red feathers on this one's vent? [​IMG]
    #3 is a red breasted hen.
    #4 looks like a cinnamon hen.
    #5 is a blue face, and it looks like a boy [​IMG] The white on his breast indicates that it is pied or that it is double-factor for blue face.
    #6 looks like a pied wild.
    #7 looks like a cinnamon male---unless it just looks 'light' because of the pic, can't really tell.
    #8 is white obviously---you gotta wait on eggs or crowing for that one [​IMG] The 'wind' sound on the video is the male's crow.
    #9 looks like a cinnamon blue face but could be a regular cinnamon.
    #10 is a red breasted male.
    #11 looks like another red breasted male--where are the 'light' feathers?
    #12 I believe is a golden pearl hen [​IMG]
    #13 looks like a smokey or slate, the ones that are a cross between silver and blue face? I think these should get the red vent feathers on males but I'm not sure about those.
    #14 I believe is a red breasted pied due to all the white and the limited amount of markings.
    #15 is a blue face and I think it's a girl. If she doesn't get the red vent feathers or the bright blue head that is key with almost anything blue face then you've got yourself a girl [​IMG]

Okay, so now we wait and see how many I messed up on [​IMG]

I edited a little on ones that I was undecided but I'll leave the rest (quaillady is right as always [​IMG])

Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  3. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Cage 1
    a. Golden Pearl Male
    b. Wild male
    c. Red Breasted Female
    d. Cinnamon girl
    e. Blue Face (boy since you mentioned red vent feathers)
    f. Wild male
    g. wild male

Cage 2
    a. white
    b. cinnamon blue face most likely
    c. Golden Pearl Male
    d. That is a golden pearled boy as well.
    e. Golden Pearl female
    f. silver blue face (beak is black which is blue face mutation).
    g. red breasted female
    h. blue face, girl most likely

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Here is an example why we wait until adulthood [​IMG] These boogers change a few times before their adult feathers come in [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:Either that or color-code them as little babies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by