Who wants to play “how old is that chick”?!

Micmac1234

Songster
Apr 13, 2021
Colorado
I posted on here a couple of days ago about moving chicks out that are different ages. I’m attaching a picture of my oldest and youngest. The oldest was purchased with 3 others of the same breed on April 7th from my local Murdoch’s but she’s clearly older and the youngest was purchased April 19th but had already started feathering when I got them. Does anyone have any confident guesses on the oldest and youngest? I want to move them outside a week from tomorrow (I’m in Colorado, days are in the 70’s and nights are low 50’s still).

Attachments

• 999EC1B0-A4A4-45C5-8B3A-45BADACD7125.jpeg
    999EC1B0-A4A4-45C5-8B3A-45BADACD7125.jpeg
    555.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 2ED4B0A5-CF5D-4D84-9734-9945C5DC8EF8.jpeg
    2ED4B0A5-CF5D-4D84-9734-9945C5DC8EF8.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 6
Even though there's a clear age difference (based on feathering stages), the younger chick looks big enough to manage a staged introduction to the older chicks.

I'd suggest you give them short periods of supervised time together while they are still inside/in the brooder. You can expect there will be posturing and jockeying for pecking order, and you need to just let that resolve itself, but do keep an eye that this doesn't devolve into outright bullying or injury. Once you are satisfied they can all co-exist together inside, then they can do the transition to outside all together.

Age doesn't matter, it's about how feathered out they are. I have two that look exactly the same in terms of both size and degree of feathering (my smaller one actually has less feathering than yours) and they hatched on the same day, and are the same breed. Individuals can vary a lot, so it's hard to tell the age. You can move them out anytime you like, but the less feathered out one will need you to move a heat source out with it. Last year I moved my chicks out at 3 weeks and less feathering than yours, at the beginning of May in Boston so temps lower than what you mentioned, and they were fine, but I moved their mama heating pad out with them.

Sorry my post might have been confusing! They’re all in the brooder together and have been for almost a month now. I know the older one is ready to go outside but I wasn’t sure if the younger was or not and I’m curious if anyone can tell how old they are... it’s my first time raising chicks and since I didn’t hatch them I’m not sure.

However, I’m adding two four week old chicks this weekend so the introduction tips are great!!!
Even though there's a clear age difference (based on feathering stages), the younger chick looks big enough to manage a staged introduction to the older chicks.

I'd suggest you give them short periods of supervised time together while they are still inside/in the brooder. You can expect there will be posturing and jockeying for pecking order, and you need to just let that resolve itself, but do keep an eye that this doesn't devolve into outright bullying or injury. Once you are satisfied they can all co-exist together inside, then they can do the transition to outside all togethe

Age doesn't matter, it's about how feathered out they are. I have two that look exactly the same in terms of both size and degree of feathering (my smaller one actually has less feathering than yours) and they hatched on the same day, and are the same breed. Individuals can vary a lot, so it's hard to tell the age. You can move them out anytime you like, but the less feathered out one will need you to move a heat source out with it. Last year I moved my chicks out at 3 weeks and less feathering than yours, at the beginning of May in Boston so temps lower than what you mentioned, and they were fine, but I moved their mama heating pad out with them.
Thank you! That’s interesting about how they can feather differently. This is my first time raising chicks and I am LOVING it. The big girl is my little sweetheart

Sorry my post might have been confusing! They’re all in the brooder together and have been for almost a month now. I know the older one is ready to go outside but I wasn’t sure if the younger was or not and I’m curious if anyone can tell how old they are... it’s my first time raising chicks and since I didn’t hatch them I’m not sure.

However, I’m adding two four week old chicks this weekend so the introduction tips are great!!!
Aha! :)

In respect of putting them out - depends on what your routine is and how many chicks there are.

When I transition mine to the outside I first ensure that all my chicks are capable of balling up together and keeping themselves warm as a group.

If you only have a small number of chicks - then it is better that they are substantially feathered.

If you have quite a decent number of chicks - then having some that are not quite fully feathered is acceptable as long as they are able to get into the middle of the ball for added warmth.

The alternative is to ensure that there are some static features in your outside coop that your younger chick can make use of - such as a bundled up fluffy object that mimics a hen or other chicks for added comfort/warmth.

Aha! :)

In respect of putting them out - depends on what your routine is and how many chicks there are.

When I transition mine to the outside I first ensure that all my chicks are capable of balling up together and keeping themselves warm as a group.

If you only have a small number of chicks - then it is better that they are substantially feathered.

If you have quite a decent number of chicks - then having some that are not quite fully feathered is acceptable as long as they are able to get into the middle of the ball for added warmth.

The alternative is to ensure that there are some static features in your outside coop that your younger chick can make use of - such as a bundled up fluffy object that mimics a hen or other chicks for added comfort/warmth.
Got it! I have 6 now, adding 2 Saturday that hatched April 15th so I’ll have 8 chicks out there. And I have been thinking about adding a very well secured heating lamp for the ones who aren’t as feathered.

Back
Top Bottom