Who wants to play a game of predictababy???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by newtwinmom, Jan 7, 2014.

1. newtwinmom

newtwinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    I've got to decide what eggs to set from my spur of the moment purchase -Mr Funny Man. Can any of the genetics gurus tell me what this guy might pass along? He has feathered feet, a crest, muffs, and a full beard. Plus extra toes.
    [​IMG]

History-When I bought him, I was told he was an Am crossed with a partridge Cochin and came from a blue egg. I was looking to make OEs/EEs and thought he would make cool looking babies. Well after I got him home and thought about what the seller had running around (silkies, frizzles, Cochin, EEs that I saw), I decided he must be silkie something with one parent being partridge since he has an extra toe and crest. I would still like to see what kind of cool chickens he would make but wonder from which hen my chances would be best to receive crests, fuzzy faces, and feathered feet. And I'd love a lil partridge! Here are my girls:

New Hamp
    Marans-white and BC
    Dottie's-gold and silver and BLRW
    CCL that's not laying yet

Lost the particular EE I had picked out for him about a month after I got him :(

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    I aint a genetics guru but have played with my silkies some. For crests go with your CCL, for feathered shanks the marans (if your marans have feathered shanks). Any cross of your hens with him could produce what your looking for though, but you could lessen the crest size and how much feathers are on the shanks to not having any at all.

3. redrooster99

redrooster99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2013
    georgia
    breed with the marans im not a genetics person either, but you should get beard ,a small crest, and lightly feathered feet. not sure about color.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My understanding is the feathered legs are dominant, but each breeding to a non-feathered legged bird decreases the amount of feathering in the offspring. So, you should get feathered legs from any of the crosses. I've not bred crested birds myself, but from what I've seen here they're also dominant but decrease in size. My experience with Easter eggers' muffs and beard is that the first generation usually have them, then after that, being bred to a smooth faced bird, you get 50/50ish.

5. newtwinmom

newtwinmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2012
    East Texas
    This is what I was thinking-all dominant. As far as color, am I remembering right that white is dominant so from the white Marans I would probably get white with some leakage. What might I get from the black copper Marans color wise? And then there's the laced dotties. Do the genes for lacing and the genes for partridge color play well together? Yes I know I'm WAY over thinking this, lol. But feeding growing birds is expensive so I want to pick who has the best chance of growing up to be interesting!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't know if Marans are dominant white or not, honestly.
    I think with both the red and bcm hens you'd get mostly black birds with lots of red leakage. The red hens might throw some red babies, but I'm thinking they'll still have lots of black.

I don't know how the lacing plays with other colors. I've bred laced hens to bsl roosters and usually the barring has come through and overridden the lacing. I do have one rooster that didn't get the barring, he has some lacing not great....it's this guy in the front. The back is one of the barred offspring.

[​IMG]
    Besides waiting for the CCL pullets to lay, personally I'd go with the blue laced wyandottes. I love blue birds, and would be interested to see how that would turn out. Maybe some of the whites, also, but I'm not a huge fan of white birds overall.
    You could also test and see if putting him over your slw would give you sex link chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by