Who wants to play "guess the gender?"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Suburban Sprouts, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I have 5 chicks - approximately 4 weeks old. I'm pretty sure I know the gender of several of them, but there are a couple mysteries.

Chick #1 - Black Copper Marans, I'm confident it's a girl:
    [​IMG]

Chick #2 - Easter Egger, Maybe a boy?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #3 - Easter Egger, My guess = girl
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chick #4 - Golden Lakenvelder, Boy fo' sho
    [​IMG]

Chick #5 - Easter Egger, No clue
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, what do you guys think? Am I on the right track with chicks 1-4? Do you have any ideas about the 5th one?

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Crowing

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I would guess all are girls except 4. In another 2-4 weeks I could be more positive. Nice looking babies!

3. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    2, 4, and 5 look like cockerels but they are to young wait at least another 2 weeks (6 weeks of age) then repost pics

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  4. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I figured it was too soon at 4 weeks (knowing how hard EEs are to sex this young) but thought I'd throw 'em on here just in case!

Last edited: Jun 19, 2012
  5. RawrOsaur200

RawrOsaur200 Chirping

Jun 19, 2012
    im guessing that 1,2,3,and 5 are girls and #4 was deffinetly a boy! Very beautiful chicks you have here![​IMG]

6. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks, everyone. I do have one other follow-up question for any of the more experienced chick-raisers: Of the five chicks, the Black Copper Marans and the dark brown EE feathered in the fastest, while the other three have been slower to feather-in. I know that often times the males feather in slower, so I'm wondering if this means there is a STRONG chance that the other two EEs are boys or if that is just a "sometimes" rule and there might still be a good chance one or both of them could be girls?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: