Who wants to play hen or rooster with me?

mamabokbok

Songster
5 Years
Aug 28, 2015
Australia
Hi all, I've had these chicks for 6 weeks, one is (I think) about 2 weeks older than the other so they are between 6-8 weeks old and I was told that the little one was a Columbian wynedotte bantam which I'm unsure of now Coz the colour looks wrong? The larger one the person I got them off wasn't sure what type but it looks like gold lace wynedotte? They are both supposed to be bantams although the size difference between them is huge so I am unsure but the suspense about if they are boys or girls is killing me because we have gotten way too attached for them both to turn out boys :-( I really don't have to rehome one how could I choose?!.. They are both super friendly, the little one more so than the big one it loves cuddles and will lay on my leg to sun-bake and come to me when I let them out etc, I swear I seen it squat when I startled them cleaning their box where as the other didn't which made me hopeful but the pink comb is freaking me out coz I read that's not a good sign, then again the big one did fly onto my lap today for cuddles too they are adorable.. Any one have an idea to confirm what they are size/breed wise? and if they look like boy/girl? I'm aware it's unlikely to be able to tell but worth a shot.. Also I've started to take them outside during the day once it gets to late morning as the weather is warm here but keeping a close eye on them while they are out or putting them in their coop/run to be safe, anyone have an idea how much longer it looks until they can stay outside permanently does the big one look ready? I won't separate them they both have to be ready, the little one is still growing most of its back feathers etc so still half fluffy but I think the big one pretty much is fully covered except for on its body underneath it's wings? They seem happy outside during the day so I hope that I'm doing the right thing taking them out, this is first time raise chicks.
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi there,

When you see people referring to different types of combs (took me a while too,) they are talking about the structure of the comb. There are several different kinds out there. The most common is the straight comb, like the kind you see on cartoons, etc. One single row of flesh, like a shark's fin.

A pea comb is prevalent in chickens like Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas. It is called a pea comb, because the little round nodules grouped together appear to visually resemble the pea vegetable.

The rooster set as my avatar named Roopert has a pea comb -he's an Ameraucana.

If you look closely at the comb of your birds, just count the vertical rows of peas. if there is only one single up and down row, it's a girl. If there are three rows adjacent to each other, they're boys.

Haha I still don't really understand the pea thing, BYC article says that they should have a rose comb type as wynedottes and the description does Make more sence to me, does this make a difference? The pink colour on the little one particularly concerns me, but it's comb has Also noticeably grown more raised and less uniform than the big ones which is a pale pinkish brown colour and completely flat/smooth? But the other thing that concerns me is the feather shapes and long legs on the big one which the little one doesn't have, they have both developed vastly differently and have different shaped feathers and bodies etc so I'm hoping that is a good sign there is one of each? I'm fairly suss that the larger one might actually be a standard size and x breed though coz the person I got them from had no idea about that one but was very sure about the little one
1f610.png
maybe it's adult feathers will be black and white lol? Otherwise there was a splash wynedotte rooster there as well that might be the answer
1f60c.png

If I had to use my more novice knowledge, I'd venture a guess to say the first and the last pictures show a pullet(s). I say that because the feathering is uniform; the colors on pullets are normally more uniform vs roos that have coloring specifically on their wings. The tails also looks "henish" because they don't have any sickle feathers.

Sickle feathers are the feathers that hang down. Also look for pointed feathers instead of rounded on the birds. Pointed is another indicator of roo.

The white bird(s) in the middle look more roo-ish to me. The roos typically have a more rugged look around the wings when they're young. I've noticed my younger birds when they start to feather-out show this appearance and it helps with sexing.

Those chicks have rose combs (wedge shape). They are Wyandottes. The Gold Laced is standard sized. and older than the Columbian chick. They may be mixed, though, since neither of them seem to have the bright yellow legs of pure Wyandottes. The white chick does look male. That comb is just too pink and fleshy for a pullet.

Back
Top Bottom