Who wants to see my new Nepenthes Alata?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by bantamamba, May 24, 2010.

1. bantamamba

bantamamba Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    I've always wanted to keep carnivorous plants and this is a great step forward! Very healthy specimen. I need to re-pot it soon though.

Spot currently lives in the bathroom.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I should get a shot of one of the little baby pots coming up, too cute!

Last edited: May 24, 2010

2. chickintexas

chickintexas Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    That is beautiful!!!! Where did you get it? My 9 y/o son has been fascinated with carnivorous plants ever since he was real little. He would flip over one of those.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Neat! I need one of those..

4. bantamamba

bantamamba Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    My mother came across it at a local nursery here. They only had two, so she snatched up the better-looking. I feel like a geek admitting it but I was thrilled beyond words, lol.

They don't necessarily require insects, although this one has several small gnats in many of it's traps already. Some people feed them an occasional mealworm or beetle (I've even heard fish food, but personally I'd be careful using that), or they just use diluted orchid fert. I think I will attempt to not use fertiliser unless I notice it going downhill.

5. chickintexas

chickintexas Songster

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    How do you propagate one of those?

6. bantamamba

bantamamba Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  7. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    Oh Spot is beautiful!!!! I've wanted a Nepenthes for a while, but after my Butterwort died from drying out I've been shying away from the carnivorous plants.

8. bantamamba

bantamamba Songster

Jan 17, 2010
    You should definitely try a Nepenthes, they are among the most forgiving and adaptable carnivores! Highly recommended for newbies. So hopefully this means I won't kill it. [​IMG]

9. BC_Farms

BC_Farms Songster

Jan 20, 2010
    Enfield & Chaplin CT
    I live not too far away from The Black Jungle (http://www.blackjungle.com/) in Massachusetts. They have a lot of good information on care for all different types of varieties of carnivores. I went they and bought my butterwort there...but I did some rearranging in my room and my butterwort and some of my african violets got BAKED. I will have to stop back up there and get some more plants once I find places for everything else.

Another helpful group is the New England Carnivorous Plant Society http://www.necps.org/.

10. Funky Feathers

Funky Feathers former Fattie

Jan 15, 2009
    Maryland
    My Coop
    What happens if you stick your finger (or other appendage) in one of those things (the mouth part)? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by