Who watches the chickens when you go on vacation???

hodaddy

Hatching
10 Years
Feb 28, 2009
My First post!!! My wife and I are discussing starting a small backyard flock. One discussion point that needs to be answered.... what to do about the chickens when we go on vacation? We leave town for a week up to 3 times a year, plus take long weekend trips a few times also. Does the small backyard flock require daily contact, or can you leave them to their own devices for several days?

Vacation? What's that?
idunno.gif

For us it is hard to find trustworthy people. I'm sure there is someone better to advise you.
Don't let our situation keep you from starting a flock, we love our chickens!

Oh, and Welcome from Indiana!

Last edited:
We don't sell our eggs, rather give them away to friends/coworkers under the auspices that when we go on vacation they are beholden to come check up on them and collect eggs. Since we only need 1-2 people to stop by they might only be called upon to do this 1-2x a year. Maybe we should go on vacation more?
idunno.gif

I wouldn't be afraid to leave my girlies on their own for a couple of days if I had a big enough waterer and the feeder was well filled but any longer than that and I know they'd be calling up all their friends and partying with strange boys and drinking moonshine. Nope, gotta have a babysitter. We have several people around here who advertise that they take care of livestock so if I was ever lucky enough to have unlimited wealth so I could afford to take this many kids on vacation we'd call up one of those people.

Hello and Welcome to BYC!

Yes, a backyard flock would need daily attention. They would need fresh water and daily egg collecting. Also, they would need to be let out of their coop each day and locked up at night. We have family close by and they watch our flock if we are out of town or gone overnight. But I have heard of people who have neighbors care for their flock while they are gone and instead of payment, have them keep all the eggs they collect.

Hope this helps!

I have a network of animal-loving friends that rotate through for us. The chickens are a piece of cake compared to finding someone knowledgeable/capable enough to take care of our 2 horses, plus the 3 cats, 1 corgi, 110gallon saltwater aquarium! We owe a lot of eggs to a lot of people!

I do.. I have been an animal sitter for years. Horses, cattle gamebirds, pets.... you name it. I have taken care of it.
smile.png

Like others, I've used family amd co-workers who I regularly give eggs to. I shut mine up at night and let them out in the AM, so I need someone 2x a day. I usually ask a co-worker to let them out on their way to work and then have a friend come by at dusk to feed, water and shut them up.

Back
Top Bottom