Who wears a mask cleaning up after their chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Nicole01, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Since I use DE and also there is a virus you can get by inhaling the dust from cleaning the coop, I thought it would be a good idea to wear a mask. I do not need any further health problems, that especially can be prevented. Right now I'm using a disposable mask, but maybe I should look into using a non-disposable one instead.

Anyone else use a mask to clean the coop? They are not the most comfortable due to being so sweaty underneath. Especially in this hot and humid weather. I feel so much better using one knowing it's the sensible thing to do.

I've noticed the chickens have a lot of dander, especially after they clean their feathers.

2. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I don't but I probably would be more sensible if I did.
    JJ

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I use a mask, just a paper one. Mostly to keep the dust outta my lungs.

Imp

4. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I tried using a mask, but I felt like I couldn't get enough air when I was wearing it-(it's seems pretty heavy duty). I was going to just try wearing a bandana over my nose. I'm wondering if that's good enough? I didn't know about a virus. [​IMG] Do you know what it's called?

5. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I sure do, years ago first time we cleaned out our coop, my husband nearly died from asthma, we didnt even know he had it, but he did after the coop cleaning, had to go to hospital.
    so now I do wear one.

6. kesali

kesali Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    far northern Wisconsin
    I wear a mask, even though it is hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. Better to put up with that than a dose of asthma. Also, asthma or not, inhaling DE will eventually catch up with your lungs.

7. chickengrandma

chickengrandma Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I absolutely do. Just the paper disposable ones. And disposable gloves also, because I do a lot of scooping of the bedding with my hands.

8. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Quote:x 2....but I have noticed since switching my bedding to the hay...it's not as dusty...

9. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I have often thought of doing that. Especially when I sand off the roosts.....I know that's poo dust and it's floating all over......

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:There are several. I read a post not too long ago that someone on here was sick and ended up in the hospital.

I've read you can get hantavirus, myriad respiratory infection, heliocobacter pylori bacteria infection, farmers lung, bird breeders lung, ect... I personally haven't had any sickness, but I don't want any in the future.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by