Who will be the first to guess the sex and breed of this mystery chick?

ellie32526

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2012
North Texas
I got this FREE EXOTIC CHICK with my order of 25 pullets from Murray Hatchery. It is a Cinnamon color. Very Cute, but I don't know what kind it is. Anyone have an idea? Here's a few pictures. Sorry they are fuzzy, our camera skills leave much to be desired. It's the one in the center.

The other chicks (All born 2/23/13 have developed wing feathers, but this one has none, no tail feathers either. Also, it has feathers on its feet. What do you think Buff Brahma?

Yeah, I apologize for the fuzzy pics. I was thinking possibly a Cochin too, but I couldn't find any pictures of the babies to compare.

Sorry I couldn't tell. I'm not that experienced. Is this a slow developer? All my other chicks have wing feathers but not this one. Does that indicste anything about the sex?

Yes!!! I just looked at some pics of other Partridge Cochin chicks online and I'm almost positive that you are correct. How do I tell if it is a hen or roo?

To be sure you wait until it lays an egg or crows :D
Cochins are slow feathering to begin with and the Roos are slower to feather than the girls. The extras are usually boys but that's not always the case so you will just have to wait and see!

To be sure you wait until it lays an egg or crows
big_smile.png

Cochins are slow feathering to begin with and the Roos are slower to feather than the girls. The extras are usually boys but that's not always the case so you will just have to wait and see!
Thank you so much!! This will be like waiting for Christmas as a kid. I had thought if I got a roo I would get rid of it right away, but this little ball of cuteness is growing on me and I am considering keeping it even if it is a roo. When I put my hand inside the brooder box to make adjustments, it is the first one to run out from the group and greet me.

Looks like my Partridge Cochins!

YES! They do look alot alike. Your chicks are adorable! I really did not want a roo, but if this is a roo I will keep him. He is just so very cute. I hope I can remember how cute he is now when he gets to be annoying (ie crowing at 5 am and harassing my hens)

Back
Top Bottom