1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Who will be the leader? Brown Chinese, Tufted Buff, or White Danish

Discussion in 'Geese' started by cdnley, Jun 4, 2011.

1. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    I have a very mixed flock of ducks and geese. They have all been raised together thus far and seem to be a happy bunch. I am not sure what will happen in the future as they get bigger and decide on who is the boss. I had a Canada goose last year (who flew away) and she was the leader of the ducks (but they got taken out by foxes). Everyone got along quite well.

I am not even sure what sexes the ducklings and goslings are. So what do you think? Who would be the boss? I assume a goose will be the dominant one out of the flock (3 geese and 6 ducks).

Thanks!

2. I don't know who would be the leader -- probably a goose, but you never know. We have a very opinionated barred rock hen who is the boss of everything in our chicken yard -- from pullets, to the older hens, to the bantam rooster, to even the big white Pekin drake. I'm waiting to see if her reign is over when I let my geese out into the orchard.

3. cdnley

cdnley Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    Quote:I am excited when they are bigger and I can let them out, they will be so happy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by