Who will go Broody????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Paganrose, Jan 20, 2011.

1. Paganrose

Paganrose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Albany,, Wisconsin
    So I am wondering which hens of mine are most likely to go broody. I have 4 Gold laced Wyandottes, 3 Black Jersry Giants, 2 Cuckoo Marans, and 2 Easter Eggers, and 3 ISA Browns (I don't expect them to go broody). All are hatchery stock. Some sources say GLWs go broody often, some say they don't, same with the JGs. One of my CM decided to go broody for about a day, and sits in the nest box for long hours, but dosen't stay. (I dont blame her, it is warmer on the roosts)

So in your experiance Is it likely that I will have at least one broody??? Or will I have to incubate my own eggs this year???
    Also what are some other heavy breed/dual purpose breeds that go broody?? Ones without large combs (frostbite not fun)
    If none of my hens go broody this year I am thinking of maybe getting some Orpingtons or Cochins, but they seem to have large combs.

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    possibly the 2 EE's would go broody.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There are no absolutes with chickens.

I have LF brahmas, nearly 3 years old. Brahmas are reported to be broody. Not a single broody in my bunch.

In my juvenile coop, the pullets I thought least likely to go broody are my salmon faverolles and my turkens. Yet before she was even 7 months old, one of the SFs has gone broody and I have a turken definitely thinking about it. Plus two silkies that are broody, but I pretty much expected that from them.

Out of your breeds, I would say the marans, maybe the EEs (depending on the strain), but again...no absolutes.

Bright Blessings [​IMG]

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's not a guarantee by any means, but your breed most likely to go broody would be the Wyandottes.

Like gritsar said, it's an individual thing. I have a 2 year old Light brahma (a supposedly broody breed) and she's never gone broody. My pure Ameraucana pullet did though at 7 months old.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There are breeds that will almost certainly go broody, though, including some suited for colder climates. My choice would be Kraienkoppes; I had 3, and 3 broodies.

I currently have an EE who's been setting for about 2 weeks. She is 3 years old and never went broody before. Chickens........

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-1.html tells all about broodies including which breeds are most likely.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by