Who will lay first? Hens coming out of molt or pullets at point of lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SueT, Nov 25, 2016.

1. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    No one is laying yet, daylight is only 10 hours or less at this point. We have 2 hens finishing up their first molt and looking pretty good, and 2 pullets, age 6 1/2 mo. Pullets have bright red combs/wattles, but no squatting behavior or testing out nests. I can't wait to see who will lay first. Is it possible that no one will lay until spring?
    (Further details---Hens are a RIR and a BA, pullets are a BR and an SS. They all eat Purina Flock Raiser as their main sustenance. There is oyster shell available. They like BOSS. I have also supplemented with calf manna but they are no longer thrilled with it, even in molt muffins. As they are not free range, I also give them various greens daily, such as kale from the garden.)

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My money is on the pullets.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Definitely the pullets. I've had hens resume as early as December after a molt but most don't start back up again until February or March. We do have harsh winters where so it probably plays into it somewhat.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Another vote for the pullets. In my experience, the 18-ish month ladies who molt don't resume again until spring. Some folks find different, but for me it's very unusual for a hen of that age to molt then resume laying.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    One of my 18 monthers just started laying again after her molt....
    .....and another one just blasted into hard molt after laying funky thin shells eggs for weeks on end.

Think only 7 out of 10 pullets have started laying, haven't pelvic poked them all to be sure tho.

My vote is.....<shrugs> who knows! haha!

6. SueT

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Well I got an egg---but I don't know who laid it! We were gone for the day and it was there when I got back... it may be the Australorp hen as it was in her preferred nest, and she tended to lay large oblong light colored eggs like this:
    [​IMG]
    Here are pics of the 2 hens....the Australorp's comb is redder than the RIR:
    [​IMG]

And here are the 2 pullets. Neither has yet exhibited squatting behavior. They are now 7 months old. The egg was laid 2 days ago, and so far no more.
    [​IMG]

7. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The coloring of the seems to indicate the barred rock as the layer. Not every pullet will squat.

8. SueT

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    And such a big egg for the first?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It does look huge....or you have tiny hands.
    Did you weight it?
    Probably a double yolker.

10. SueT

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    We ate it, not a double yolk...But we just got another! Same nest. It may be a little smaller than the first, similar color and shape though. I weighed it, 2.2 ounces. Here's photo of #2. I will eventually be out there at the right time and see who is in the nest. Again, we were gone, getting supplies before the snow comes....
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by