Who would have THUNK? That I would LOVE chickens this much?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lil'ChickFarm, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    I really just wanted to be a farmer. I wanted a barn with chickens to go out and smell that beautiful smell of farm poop, hehe.........[​IMG]
    I wanted to collect eggs daily. How FARMIE is that? (probably not a word:rolleyes: )
    I have always loved raising small animals.

In 25 years I have raised hamsters, mice, rats, bunnies, then on to lizards, bearded dragons. filling my incubator with eggs that hatched out these tiny adorable little lizards.
    Then I got into birds. I have been raising birds now for five years and I love it.
    Well I still desired that farm. We live in the city. How could we do that and be ok with our neighbors?
    I looked into all the rules and one day I went out and got 2 dozen fertile eggs of mixed breeds and stuck them in my incubator. Now I was going to be a chicken mommy.

Ok, so I found out all these things about chicken eggs incubating that is much different then lizards and all but two of these eggs rotted.

So I got two anyway, and put them in my bird aviary. OMG!! THE FUN BEGAN!!!
    I was like, these guys are FUNNY"!!![​IMG] [​IMG]

I would sit and watch them and laugh and think, this is more fun then the movies!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    I had to have more. So the farmer that sold me the eggs, had just hatched some and I went over and picked up three more.
    Soon all five were together and too big for the house, so we built a CHICK Tractor.

They went outside and now came all the motherly worrying about if it rained or the temperature dropped at night. OMG!!! I was out there late at night, almost every night, checking on them, checking the weather, adding towels for warmth, or tarps for protection.[​IMG] Just lovin my babies.
    Now I am sitting in an outside chair during the day and watching my movies. [​IMG]

So then I begin to research breeds and decide I want some silkies.
    LONG story there, as I lost a whole hatch of silkies to shrink wrap, [​IMG] [​IMG]
    So then I find out you can order them live in the mail. I ordered 15, and they got canceled and eventually I went somewhere else where the order limit was 25. By now I have decided that I want Cochins too. So I add three of those in the bunch.
    Well this order arrives one morning with all these crying little babies.
    There was 29 chicks in the box and I am trying to dip 29 little beaks in water and make sure I got them all. IMPOSSIBLE! [​IMG]

Later I got the BRIGHT idea that I could put them in a plastic tub as I put some in the water and then I knew who all had drank.
    I promptly had to photograph every baby. Took all morning. [​IMG]

Ok so then I went on craigs list and listed some for sale. I cannot keep 29 babies. I can't spoil that many. It took me a few days and I was down to five silkies and my three cochins.

Now our coop is almost finished out back. We just need to add on the extra insulated room with the nesting areas.
    My original five are now four. as three of my babies were males and I had to depart with them back to the farm they came from. My original two are females and the day I sent the three babies away, I picked up two gorgeous wyandot bantams.

So now I have four out back in the coop, two RIR/EE mixes and two Wyandott bantams. AND 8 babies in the brooder.

Have you lost me yet?
    So anyway, NOW I go out to the coop every night and say good night to my four out there. I let them free range during the day. They love it. I love it. I love watching them run around my back yard. They hardly eat any of the bought food as they are nourished from the garden bugs, lol.
    Every day I am on this web site peering at eveyone's new chickens and chatting with them.

I am now officially a full fledged CHICKEN FREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK , how many of you just love watching your chickens? How many of you think CHICKENS ALL DAY LONG? How many of you are now eagerly learning every thing that they can about CHICKENS??? I mean is this CHICKEN ADDICTION?????? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. whoacowboy

whoacowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    Town of Clayton
    I'm with ya. I want to put a chair out there. I've most certainly worn a path in the grass. [​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG]
    Me!

Originally, I wanted a few chickens for free fertilizer. Soil where I lived HAD to be amended - anybody have adobe for a back yard?. With rocks in it? I was very tired of buying bags of soil, fertilizer, other products. Chickens would give it to me for free.

Plus, they are great bug catchers, and what did grow in adobe soil also harbored all kinds if creepy-crawlies and ankle biters and slithery things. What I had been able to plant, the things which survived, attracted earwigs. (I've discovered chickens LOVE earwigs! [​IMG]

Oh... Eggs, yah, they lay eggs, too. I like eggs. This will be good.

Never in my wildest expectations would I have realized chickens have personalities. Plus, who cannot laugh at seeing a hen run off somewhere important!?!?!

All that you described as your reaction to having chickens has been my experience too. I love the silly things.

I love BYC. I have wonderful BYC friends I've never met, and some that have actually become close compatriots. Plus I've really met a few BYCers....

But I'm not addicted or anything. I can quit any time I want. [​IMG]

4. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:uh huh... suuuure you can... just keep repeating that to yourself over.. and over...... and over...... [​IMG]

5. chickens? not yet

chickens? not yet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Kingman, AZ.
    Quote:uh huh... suuuure you can... just keep repeating that to yourself over.. and over...... and over...... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Lil'ChickFarm

Lil'ChickFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    But I'm not addicted or anything. I can quit any time I want. wink

Quit what? Loving them? [​IMG][​IMG]

7. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Sometimes (ok, alot of times) I go outside and just sit in the chair and watch all my babies. They are the BEST pets I have ever owned. And then I wonder what that feeling is on my butt, and realize I forgot to check the chair before I sat down...and wonder who was up there before me? And they ALL have names, and their own personalities, and I think, Life is good!!

8. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    Quote:...and this is why I'm having my better half build me a stool with a lid on it. Pull off the lid, squat and sit down for my "chicken TV" program of the day. [​IMG]

- Kim

P.S. I'm addicted, too. Can't leave for work in the morning unless I've spent at least 15 minutes sitting in their run, just watching them... And feeding them meal worms. I'm their hero because of that!!!

9. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    ha! [​IMG] I feel the exact same way. it started with two and now I have 14. no doubt I will get at least a few more, my Dh doesn't seem to be capable of saying "no" when it comes to my chicken addiction so I'm taking advantage (gotta make it an even number like 20 right? LOL)

Seriously though, when I come home from work I just have to go back there and grab a bucket and sit down and watch them. I bring em treats and the little fluffy butts come running. It helps me to relax after along days work and I feel happier and more at peace after watching them do their little chicken things. Now I've got 3 different groups to visit, two in brooders in the house and the older ones outside. [​IMG] I'm in chicken heaven

10. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    there just to darn cute not to love. . . . . . . .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by