Who would you pair this little guy up with?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by peewee, Nov 9, 2010.

1. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I found two new little quail at the farmers market a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately both had bloody heads from banging around in the pen. When I brought them home I noticed this little one (boy - knowing my luck) had some different markings then what I had originally thought. His brown (wild) spot is not totally brown. There is white running threw the feathers. All the birds that I have seen with spots like this the spots are very distinct and separate from the white. Wild spots are wild colored and the white is pure. I was wondering what color of bird should I pair this guy up with to see if I could bring up more of this blending of colors?

[​IMG]

Ignore the Wound Kote on his head.
    [​IMG]

2. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    He is just an English white. I have many having the backs with some splotches. You can put it with a female English White or brown or put it with a British Range to start a Tuxedo.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have a hen thats the color like that.. Mostly white with what looks like Italian feather color on her back and by her head.

4. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Italian? You mean Manchurian Golden? The English Whites can be all white OR have a brown/gold spot on the head and/or splotches anywhere on the body.

5. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Could be lol I'm still on a learning curve about Coturnix [​IMG] I'll see if I have a picture of her.

6. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Peewee to bad you don't live closer! I'd let you borrow my hen. It would be pretty interesting to see what the two produced.

Heres my hen Puff ( the only good pic i have of her lol... if need be i can get a better one tomorrow she looks a little different now that she's moulted):
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Looks like my Bella, one of my first English Whites [​IMG] with the face markings CUTE!

8. Attack Chicken

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    She's a cutie! lol Tomorrow I'll send you some updated pics of her if you want [​IMG] She walks around like a puffed up porcupine when she doesn't like something lol..

I feel so bad for your little guy Peewee! His head looks painful [​IMG]

9. joe125

joe125 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Quote:I agree with you here, as far white birds go. Pewee's bird is for all practical purposes, a white bird. Attack chickens's "Very uniquely colored" hen is a white bird as well.
    A very pretty pattern, but no matter what you cross them with....you can not maintain the pattern. I call it coturnix Yahtzee! They are both just unique colored white coturnix.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  10. LostinQuailLand

LostinQuailLand Out Of The Brooder

Ok now you've gone and done it...I was going to give up on Quail.....til I saw this English White....Ok Where do I get eggs for these beauties?????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by