Whoa! Check out this whopper!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wjallen05, Jun 22, 2009.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Songster

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Look what one of my (22 week old) Leghorn gals laid the other day! I couldn't believe it!! It was a double yolk. This is the third double yolk I've gotten from her since she started laying.

[​IMG]

In comparrison to the other Leghorn eggs...

[​IMG]

2. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. supermommy

supermommy Songster

Mar 23, 2009
    central ny
    Yikes, that had to have been a little painful [​IMG]

4. large1

large1 In the Brooder

Apr 8, 2009
    You should probably give here an ice pack or a pillow to sit on.[​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Poor girl! That sure is a whopper of an egg!! [​IMG]

6. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    Wowsers! This is sort of unrelated, but a guy my DH works with was telling him yesterday how many years ago he worked for a poultry farmer that selectively chose hens who regularly laid double yolks, and somehow developed a flock of them. Is that possible or was the guy yanking DH's chain?

7. Mrs. Glassman

Mrs. Glassman Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Cedartown, Georgia
    LA~Poulet :

Wowsers! This is sort of unrelated, but a guy my DH works with was telling him yesterday how many years ago he worked for a poultry farmer that selectively chose hens who regularly laid double yolks, and somehow developed a flock of them. Is that possible or was the guy yanking DH's chain?

[​IMG]
    Wondering the same thing!​

8. Horsewell

Horsewell Songster

May 27, 2008
    England
    wow that things huge! poor girl [​IMG]

9. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    LA~Poulet :

I really don't know but one of my local supermarkets sells double-yolkers by the dozen all the time (of course, I don't buy them)! It appears to me that they must have hens that reliably lay double-yolkers or they wouldn't be able to do this. There are as many cartons of double-yolkers as other types of eggs in their refrigerated case.

Before I had chickens producing my own eggs, I did buy some of these and, yes, they were all double-yolkers!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: