Whoa! Do yours do this??!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diesel84, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Diesel84

Diesel84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    O.. M.. G.. My girls were SO loud this morning!!! They sound just like this:

Bawk Bawk Baaaaaaaaaaaaaawkkkk!

But - NO eggs!! I thought it was the egg song - cuz WOW it sounds JUST like the hen in the video.. They've been doing this for a couple of weeks now.. Should I cover them at night and remove it when I wake up around 7am?

I think they're playing tricks on me.. all these egg songs w/o eggs! LOL:yiipchick

I don't mind it, but my neighbors may have an issue - just a thought.

Anyone else have any insight on this???

Last edited: Aug 16, 2010
  2. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Before they all started laying eggs, they would sit and sing the egg song. It is almost like they are going through a lamaze practice. Then, before you know it, actual eggs.
    I bet your others will be laying within the next week or so.

I just caught this on another thread. I remember mine behaved similarly.​

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It seems to precede egg laying by a week or two. Get ready for eggs. [​IMG]

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have older hens and they still do that, at first light.

I think they are demanding that I get out of bed and let them out into the yard.

Imp- thankfully my close neighbors like my chickens, and I get up and run. [​IMG]

5. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:I think it is more like imp said in the mornings my bo hen makes a ruckus in the morning to be let out and fed, she doesn't usually lay her egg until after 11 am so I know it isn't the egg song

6. Diesel84

Diesel84 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Gotha
    Well I hope its egg time soon..!

They've been on the same schedule since they were about 5 weeks old - they're in their coop until about 5:30-6pm and get let out until about 8pm or until it starts to get dark. All 3 of them are yet to lay an egg and this noise just started about 2 weeks ago in the AM. I tried giving them some BOSS to scratch around for and keep them occupied but it doesn't seem to be working.. I actually think they may not like the sunflower seeds (Weird?)

Even though they are on a schedule would they still be sqwaking to be let out?

Basically it's all noise and no eggs at this point [​IMG]

7. chickenbarn-gal

chickenbarn-gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Michigan
    No, my chickens were doing that a lot a few days ago.. Then just today I got 4 eggs!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by