1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

WHOA! How much do 3.5 week old chicks eat?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lilstar, Jun 7, 2011.

1. lilstar

lilstar Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Last night before bed I completely filled their feeder. First filling the base, then filling the 1qt feeder thing. It was FULL!!! This morning, the feeder tower thing is empty and the base, most of the way empty. there are 6 chicks, 3.5 weeks old. Is it normal for them to eat that much just over night? Were they picking it out and throwing it out around the brooder or what? I could swear they don't normally go through it that fast. I fully expected it to be at least 24 hours before it got THAT low?!

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    They throw it everywhere and eat alot. They do go through alot of food when little. Welcome to the madness of chicks. [​IMG]

3. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Don't you know that they are not "chickens"... they are "pigs"...

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG]

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Mine never ate that much and there are 10 of them. Of course, they were supplementing themselves with insects all night...

Is your brooder mouse-proof? Mice can get through a hole the size of a dime.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

WHOA! How much do 3.5 week old chicks eat?

Not as much as they waste.​

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Oh, and I've read the suggestion to put their feeder in a pie pan so the billed out food stays by the feeder for a second shot at being eaten. That might make all of the difference for you.

8. Breezy_Living

Breezy_Living Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I'm experiencing the growth spurt too!

A bag of starter food lasted me through the first 3 weeks, and within this last week I've gone through 30% of a second bag!

9. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks are a few days older than yours and they scratched their feed onto the floor and subsequently throughout their box. I put the feeder on a round tupperware container about three inches high. That seems to have stopped the problem HOWEVER they are eating machines right now! Maybe they are in a growth spurt. [​IMG] I also raised the waterer and have had lots less pine shavings in it.

10. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    I kept raising my feeder when they were little, and it seemed to help. If you keep the feeder (and waterer) at about back height, it's harder for them to throw around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by