Whoa! I had a double yolker in the Bator!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Petej, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I candled all my chicken eggs today (day 14 or so) and tossed the duds, my one REALLY tall egg was actually a double yoker!

Most of my double yolk eggs are short and fat, this one happened to be tall and skinny, so I didn't think much of it.

I usually candle my eggs after a few days, but with the recent hatches and 'Bator issues, I decided to leave them alone and candle them later....

The bad news about my double yolker: It's a dud. [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The egg is taller than the rest, but no bigger around. It's slightly tilted in the picture, but it's a good 1/2 - 3/4" taller than the others. [​IMG] Heavy sucker too!

I also pulled the Quail eggs that didn't hatch. Just as I was putting them in the trash can, they popped. [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most doubles don;t make it and when they do, only one hatches, and if both hatch they are usually deformed. So this is a good thing it was a dud.

3. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I've been reading that they don't make it.

One of our White Leghorns lays a double yolk egg, but this is the first time a different bird has laid one.

In a way, I'm glad it didn't make it. No sense in watching an animal suffer.....

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by