1. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I keep seeing people posting who live in much better climates than I, that they are losing their flock to the heat. Here is what I do to keep my cheeps cool based on desert living ideas...

Put coop under a large tree blocking the blazing rising and setting sun if possible. I checked the footprint of the shade through a full day so I knew where best to put my coop. I don't have a lot in my area but luckily I have one really nice big one. It keeps the ground temp significantly lower.

A layer of shade. The walls are about 8 ft tall and I used shade cloth for a roof.

The key difference .............About 1 to 2 feet below that shade is another layer of shade cloth. This allows cooler air to pass through.

Within the big run, I have a small kennel cage with my babies. They have a piece of plywood for a roof. It sticks out and the big birds are always hanging around its shade.

Both walls facing the rising and setting sun have shade cloth.

A one person mister from Home Depot for $10. Usually on from noon to 6pm mostly because I forget to turn it off. For even more out of the mister place it next to the wall so it gets the shade cloth wet.

Two small water tubs for wading though they rarely go in preferring to get misted.

I hope my layers of shade idea helps keep your layers cool!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. BrokenRoadFarm

BrokenRoadFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    North Central NC
    Sounds like you are doing a great job! I also put ice in waterer, freeze water in large juice jugs and put in the coop overnight, and give them cold yogurt or cottage cheese and frozen cantaloupe rinds. Every little bit helps! [​IMG]

3. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I do frozen corn on the cob, treats, and frozen jars of fruit but they haven't been essential thankfully. I only had figs in the freezer and needed one for my quail immediately so my birds have some expensive freezer packs. I did not place my quail in the same tree'd area and they only have one layer of shade so they do suffer the heat.

4. siroiszoo

siroiszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    Waller, TX
    I tried frozen jugs of water but my birds prefer it better when I leave a faucet dripping in their very shady coop area. It makes a puddle and keeps my blackberries watered as well. (well water, so no water bill involved)

In one of the horse stalls, a black hen has figured out how to perch on one of my plastic automatic waterers for the horses. This makes it drip until a puddle has developed under it. A group of chickens and guineas like to spend the afternoon collected around that area. Pretty smart hen if you ask me [​IMG]

Another group of chickens makes the rounds by the ornamental bog garden we have in the front. I've walked out to find them bathing in it as though it were a nice sandy place instead of a wet graveled area.

5. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    We are feeding frozen veggies today. We have layers of shade and that's helping a little. The girls are just plain hot and I'm hoping we don't lose any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by