Whoa... unexpected chick!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DKMfan86, Dec 12, 2011.

1. DKMfan86

DKMfan86 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2010
    Hey,

I was at the feed store picking up some food, for Daisy (my pup.) when I decided to ask if they had any baby chicks, so I would be able to feed it to Khloe (Boa Constrictor Imperator.)
    The chick is a bit too big for the boa constrictor, and as soon as it chirped, I knew the girlfriend would be upset for a few days if I had fed it.

We have a cat carrier for the chick, however didn't buy any food for it, as we were planning on using it for a feeder.

Here are a few questions....

1.) Is there anything that I can get to feed it tonight?
    2.) Should I get more then one, as I've heard they are social animals
    3.) How can I tell what breed it is?

2. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    cornmeal for the night. I purchased "organic" chick starter thru the mail. I paid 35.00 for a 10 lb bag of corn meal.

I would get at least one more or it will want to be with you all the time. A feather duster of stuffed animal will help for now.

What color is it?

Make sure it has water a lid off a mayo jar will work. If it is deeper than that throw marbles in it so it does not drown.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  3. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    1.)
    If you don't have chick starter, feed it plain oatmeal, scrambled egg or mashed up boiled egg tonight.
    Tomorrow run to the feed store and pick up chick starter.

2.)
    Yes, I'd recommend getting another chick. Chickens are very social, and need company. If they don't have
    siblings, and grow up alone, it's likely for them to have socialization problems when older. For tonight, a
    feather duster with real feathers, a stuffed animal, or even a rag - as long as there are no holes or strings
    that toes could get caught it should keep him company. Anything to represent mama.

3.) Post a picture, lots of people here should be able to help you with the breed.

Good luck!

4. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    Quote:Plain Oatmeal. Flavored will kill it. To much salt and sugar.

5. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    Quote:Plain Oatmeal. Flavored will kill it. To much salt and sugar.

Mmhm, flavored has way to much sugars. Should be avoided.

I also wanted to add in that Scrambled egg, or mashed up boiled egg is good for them to eat.

6. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    1. Bread, plain oatmeal, cornmeal, even whole boiled and crushed eggs will work. Go back to the feed store and get medicated feed for it ASAP. Medicated isn't organic, but it prevents diseases later on.

2. Yes, they are very social creatures and do not do well alone. You should get another one or two if you plan on keeping the chick.

3. Post a picture in "What breed or gender is this" and plenty of people will reply with guesses. You probably won't know for sure until it's older, though.

Good luck [​IMG]

(Also, ever considered frozen prey for your snake? That way, if you get the wrong size next time you can probably return it [​IMG] Much safer for the snake, too.)

7. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    I have a question about the cornmeal. Would you feed it plain or self-rising? I think the self-rising would be bad for it.

8. laseterlass

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    plain cornmeal. They make self rising? I scratch bake so I have no idea.

9. ozark_chickies

ozark_chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2011
    Arkansas
    Quote:Yep, the self rising makes better breading on squash and okra.

10. LOVEIGEE

LOVEIGEE Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I'm sorry......this is making me sick.......I know snakes have to eat too, but geesh! Baby chicks? Sorry....logging out now..............so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by