Whoa! Weird Rooster... Is this NORMAL?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HetaChick, Feb 10, 2012.

1. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Chickens never stop amazing me. Today my out cast chick-roo (hatched jan 4) tried his mating dance on my adult hen (his brood mom that I took him from) and tried to mount her. He still cheeps! And has never crowed. He doesn't even have hackles yet as he grew too fast for his feathers. He's a big chick but... He still cries for me and follows me around so how and why is he trying to mate SO early? He still technically requires a heat lamp.....

Any one had this before? Btw he's a Shamo so idk if breed has anything to do with this.

2. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    About a month after our roo died, we saw our light brahma hen do the little wing dance/side step thingy to another hen. Bizarre. Learned behavior?

3. HetaChick

HetaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    California
    Actually I've kept him and a OEGB mix chick away from all my other birds. I don't have an adult rooster, I got my pet chickens hatching eggs from a friend.

He also will not tolerate the other birds now, they used to bully him and now it's vice versa; but that's also odd. Originally He got picked on so I took him in and he rebonded with me within the same day i took him in. He was not a little chick, it was like 2 weeks ago.... However, He does love the little OEGB now, he likes to tell her he's boss but he protects her when their around the others so I hope to keep them together as long as they're good to each other.

He's an odd case....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by