Whole corn...do hens eat it?

rockgirl365

Chirping
Aug 2, 2020
Ravenna, MI
I was just watching an episode of Becky's Homestead on YouTube. Since my hens just started laying eggs I hope that they will lay throughout the winter. Becky said to feed hens one cup of whole corn per day (in addition to layer feed) during the winter months. Does anyone do this? If so, do your hens eat the whole corn without having to mix it in with the layer feed?

Ah, Becky's Homestead- HOME to inaccurate information. Whole corn should be given as a treat, and won't affect their laying. Feeding them whole corn every day will ensure that they're not getting the right nutrient balance, but it won't do anything else. First year pullets usually lay through winter anyway.

Will they eat it? Sure. Is it nutritionally sound or good for them or will it benefit them more than layer pellets? No. Is it a good treat? Yes, if you're balancing it with more diverse and nutritionally dense snacks or only giving it as 10% of their diet.

Just because it's on youtube doesn't mean it's real. Look for sources.

I didn't look that close. That's a little deceptive that the manufacturer is calling it a laying feed. I use an all flock and add calcium on the side, but I don't think I'd support a deceptive company.
Good eye.
🧐
I think it is part of the job when it comes to making labels for food for both humans and animals... To trick people.
A regular person would see that bag and see the word layer on it and assume it is appropriate for a laying hen but it's not.
It's pretty sad.

Yeah I kinda figured that I could stop the layer crumbs. I like them having the veggies. It seems to be a more balanced nutrition for them.
Stop the what?

I think you are not understanding that the layer crumbs IS a complete balanced feed and exactly what laying hens need.

This Becky person does not understand proper nutrition. I highly recommend not listening to anyone who tries to convince you your birds are better off not getting a balanced diet and wants you to feed too many treats.

I also highly recommend spending a few weeks reading every single thread in the emergency section pay particularly close attention to people mentioning whole grains and daily treats.

I though they meant to stop the layer crumbles because the other feed they posted would be enough. They have 2 whole complete feeds posted above. My advice was that they didn't need both and to limit treats. I'm not familiar with the first brand, but that's made for laying hens and what the op is referring to as the "veggie feed" - unless I totally read the whole post and response wrong?
The first one that you're saying is made for laying hens is actually not. I read the nutritional value content... There is not enough calcium in that for laying hens.

The first one that you're saying is made for laying hens is actually not. I read the nutritional value content... There is not enough calcium in that for laying hens.
I didn't look that close. That's a little deceptive that the manufacturer is calling it a laying feed. I use an all flock and add calcium on the side, but I don't think I'd support a deceptive company.
Good eye.
🧐

My hens never used to like corn - they'd ignore it. As they've got older they enjoy it as a treat.
There's a theory that digesting the corn keeps chickens warmer but there's no conclusive evidence to say if it's actually true or not. I'd say digesting anything would do the same, but it's a nice treat if your birds like it.

If your birds are large breeds then I'd say whole corn would be fine to give them.

My hens never used to like corn - they'd ignore it. As they've got older they enjoy it as a treat.
There's a theory that digesting the corn keeps chickens warmer but there's no conclusive evidence to say if it's actually true or not. I'd say digesting anything would do the same, but it's a nice treat if your birds like it.

If your birds are large breeds then I'd say whole corn would be fine to give them.
I just have 2 Penedesencas. Idk if that's considered a large or small breed.

Back
Top Bottom